• Register Today It's free!

exhaust help!!!

tootall_54

Reaction score
City, State
Worthington,IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' XLT
I have recently installed a 2.5 pipe from my stock muffler and it doesnt sound half bad but i am wondering does anyone know how it sound if i was to run 2.5 piping all the back to the stock cat and cut the stock muffler out!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well. ive cut off all my cats and run 2.5 inch pipe into a flowmaster 40 series and it sounds great. im not exactly sure how it would sound but anything is better then stock! i would take off one of the middle cat and patch in with 2.5 tubing the gap between the first cat and the muffler.

with no muffler there is no way to "shape" the sound, so you will prob have a really bland or bad sounding system. i would keep the muffler and lose the cats. or at least one cat.

2.5" tubing is usually too big for the 4.0 OHV unless you're running really low gears and spend a lot of time in the middle RPMs.

Usually 2.25" tubing works the best.

You can get a complete Dynomax or Flowmaster system, with 2.25" mandrel bent pipe, muffler, clamps, and hangers.

Sure, you can throw 2.25" tubing on there with no muffler, but it's likely not going to be that great. You might want to at least throw on a 2.25" non-louvered glasspack like a Thrush to mellow out the sound. A good performance muffler like a Magnaflow can be pretty loud when you hit the gas, without the drone and ratty muffler-less sound.

Don't cut the cats, they flow more than the muffler or the rear pipe.

Just keep the muffler on it or it's going to sound like an old minivan.

So basically wat i am gathering of all this is...that i need not to run a pipe from the cat all the way out (kinda like a cat back) or it would sound bad, but wat i need to do if i choose to do anything is to buy a performance muffler (flowmaster 40 delta or 44 delta) whichever sounds best and i would be better off in the long run

correct! or magnaflow. ive heard alot of great stuff about them as well.

A muffler is going to work better with the engine system as it is. You'd have to modify it quite a bit and have a ton of air and fuel going in there to have a straight exhaust be any kind of benefit.

There's instructions in this thread about how to throw on a Flowmaster, or any muffler:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182514

The stock system has a resonator behind the muffler, though, so that quiets the exhaust down some too. You can either get a muffler shop to bend you new pipe without the resonator, or go to a parts store and either buy a stock replacement pipe or a performance 2.25" mandrel bent pipe. It'll flow better and be louder. I suggest the Dynomax pipe, you can get it through Advance or NAPA or any place that sells Walker or Dynomax exhaust products.

If you don't want to spend the $100-200 on a Dynomax or Flowmaster catback system, or go to an exhaust shop and have them do the work, you can just get a muffler you want, rear pipe from the exhaust shop, some extra straight pipe to fit between the muffler and rear pipe, and some clamps. Put it all together, then take it to a shop to have them weld on a hanger behind the muffler.

I hear the Flowmaster 40 is the way to go on those, not too many people are happy with the Delta 44s. The 40 should flow better, too.

Magnaflows are excellent straight-through mufflers. They get a lot of their noise reduction from weight and heavy materials, though, so sometimes they are quieter than Flowmasters, even though a Magnaflow flows better.

Thanks for all the help all left do to do is making choice thanks again

Back