Exhaust leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust leak

TexasJenn

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
My EX wouldn't pass inspection today because they say I have an exhaust leak. He wasn't 100% sure but he thought it was (at?) the intake manifold. He said if that was it that I would need a new intake manifold? True? Or could it just be a gasket issue? I so hate trying to be ripped off because I'm a girl. So now I have 15 days to correct this problem and pass inspection. Any ideas fellas?

If I do need a new inake manifold, what should the cost be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you fail an emisions test or a vehicle inspection? The reason I ask is that if you failed an inspection then he should be able to tell you why it failed.. If there is an exhaust leak, then he will know where he saw it.

If you failed emisions then it could be all kinds of things (depending on the emisions sniffer results)..

Also, I can't think of any way to get an exhaust leak at the intake manifold as the exhaust does go through the intake. Air goes in the intake, into the heads and the exhaust goes out the other side of the head. You would have to have a cracked head and more to get exhaust out the intake area.

~Mark

Also, I can't think of any way to get an exhaust leak at the intake manifold as the exhaust does go through the intake. Air goes in the intake, into the heads and the exhaust goes out the other side of the head.
~Mark

Actually exaust does enter the intake. The EGR system recirculates exhaust to the intake.

Without seeing it I can't begin to guess as to where the problem is. I recomend you check around your area (talk to friends or co-workers) for a reliable shop that is willing to look at it for you. Explain to them that it won't pass (emissions or inspection which ever it is), but DON'T tell them what you think (or were told) the problem is. Let them find the problem.

Ahh.. I didn't notice it was a '93 which has EGR. EGR doesn't always pop in my head since we have a '92 which doesn't have it..

~Mark

?? I wasn't aware that Texas was doing emissions testing. was this a yearly safety inspection like most southern states are still doing ?

if they turned you down, they should be able to tell you specifically why. I'm not familiar with the Texas version of inspection, but Mississippi's is/was explicit, if you didn't pass, the shop that did the inspection charged you anyway. they could repair the problem or you could take it elsewhere and bring it back (repaired) and receive your safety inspection sticker.

I think the time limit was a week in MS.

JMHO, most inspections are too lax and are done by incompetent, lower level mechanics. please note, I said JMHO ! besides, I'm a licensed inspector since 1981....lol. :D

Hey guys! Yes it was the emissions test that I failed. The only thing the list says is exhaust....nothing specific. I think that's a way to get more money out of you because I'm sure they charge you a different fee to tell you exactly what the problem is LOL. I did talk to a friend who use to have a shop and he says from what I describe (and because I had transmission work done a few years ago and that's when I noticed it) that I might only need to have the flange gaskets replaced, so I'm going to start there. He said worse case senario it's the exhaust manifold not the intake manifold. Does that make any sense. So we are going to start with the easy and cheaper route first. I have 15 days to fix the problem if not I have to pay another $40 to have it tested again to see if it will pass. It's a free test if I do it within the 15 days.

Any ideas on what kind of flange gasket I need to pick up? He said he thought there were two different kinds for my EX.

my '92 doesn't have flang gaskets between the exhaust pipe and the manifold (at least it never had it when we got it way back in the mid 90's)

I'd expect the '93 to be the same, but I'm not possitive..

~Mark

Well that stinks if that were true. But he's not the only one who's said it might be a gasket. Ughhh...now I'm confused. I did notice that it only started after my dad and I put on a new transmission if that makes any difference.

Ideas?

When the tranission was pulled (been multiple times) in our truck we always had to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold. If you don't get it lined up just right it can leak.

~Mark

That's weird that it only says exhaust. There are just so many ways that could fail, emissions, volume, exit location, sniffer, leak...

If they fail you because of something, they should say specifically what it is, otherwise how are you supposed to fix it? :confused:

My .02

When the tranission was pulled (been multiple times) in our truck we always had to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold. If you don't get it lined up just right it can leak.

~Mark

Mark this is exactly what we are thinking. If it is this then what needs to be done? Are there gaskets to be replaced?

On mine, I just loosened the exhaust at the manifold (both sides.. then had someone wiggle/lift the exhaust around until it lined up correctly at the manifold.. Then tightened it all down while they held it up.. We did take off some of the exhaust hangers on the exhaust so we could get it to move around more.

~Mark

if that explorer has an egr system the leak could be the steel tube going to the egr from the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. mine has a leak and i have tried everything except replacing it to solve the problem im having and nothing seems to work very long. if its a bad leak it wont make the noise your expecting from a typical leak, itll be more of a fast repetitive tick that gets faster as u rev the engine. if u dont have an egr system or the tube isnt leaking and there is no exhaust leak noise u can hear i would almost bet u have a cracked head. . . the 4.0L's tend to crack between the exhaust and intake valves therefore letting exaust into the intake and/or clean air into the exhaust and their sniffer would read a lean or rich fuel mixture depending on the scenario. the one who performed the test probably said it was a leak because hes not a mechanic and doenst know any in depth info on a typical engine.

if that explorer has an egr system the leak could be the steel tube going to the egr from the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. mine has a leak and i have tried everything except replacing it to solve the problem im having and nothing seems to work very long. if its a bad leak it wont make the noise your expecting from a typical leak, itll be more of a fast repetitive tick that gets faster as u rev the engine. if u dont have an egr system or the tube isnt leaking and there is no exhaust leak noise u can hear i would almost bet u have a cracked head. . . the 4.0L's tend to crack between the exhaust and intake valves therefore letting exaust into the intake and/or clean air into the exhaust and their sniffer would read a lean or rich fuel mixture depending on the scenario. the one who performed the test probably said it was a leak because hes not a mechanic and doenst know any in depth info on a typical engine.

Yes, this is more of what I expereince. What is the fix for this? Costs? Is my best bet to take it to and exhaust/muffler shop or what?

**UPDATE....UPDATE***

Took it in today....dreading the drive to the place wondering how much money I'm going to have to shell out to fix this. WELL....looks like all I need is a new muffler and tailpipe! He said it was rusted from the inside out!! :D I'm actually all smiles now. There was something a little loose, which is why it was making the clicking sound. They tightened that up for FREE!! So...the quote they gave me for the muffler and tailpipe (he said the for overall total), which is I'm guessing labor too is around $250. Now that might be a on the expensive side, but considering the area of town this is in (think ex Pres Bush lives down the street) I think that's pretty ok in my book price wise. Even if they add labor and keep it below $300 I'd be a happy camper. I'm taking it in Monday morning and they are giving me a ride to work and picking me up at lunch.

So...is $250 a fair price fellas?

I don't know what the prices are like in Texas, but in NJ I was quoted $250-$285 to get true duals put in. Two new mufflers, tail pipes, and exhaust pipes...

Yes, Jenn it is a good price.

For having the work done, that is very respectable. You may have found a good shop for problems down the road.

it depends on the quality of the work and products they use. if u were up in michigan id do it for u for 75 after u bought the parts. so it woulda figured out to be like 150

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back