• Register Today It's free!

exhaust leak!

jake122288

Reaction score
City, State
Pleasantville, iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4-door xlt 4x4
ohkay...so here is my issue...major exhaust leak where teh y-pipe meet the exhaust manifolds... and the culprit is RUST! the thin metal "flange" as i call it , on the y-pipe which the bolts go through to the exhaust manifolds is rusting apart... i temporarily fixed it by clamping it together thus closing the rust hole and allowing me to bolt it up snug... but its working its way loose again? any fix to this. Would it make it difficult to install the y-pipe if say i made new flanges and welded them straight onto the y-pipe? i know there isnt alot of clearance room around the trans and engine/accessories but just curious on fixing this...thanks in advance

If the studs are still usable, you can just remove the rusted flange and replace it with a split flange. Split flanges can be installed without separating the pipes, or removing the flange lip/flare (if it is still there). They are available in a number of "styles", made by different companies, and almost any size/pattern. A good auto parts store (NAPA) should be able to show/get you these.

CraigK

Back