• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust leak?

Volksjager

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU EB
Been noticing this noise for a while but it’s getting worse. I’m assuming it’s coming from the flex pipe?

anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been noticing this noise for a while but it’s getting worse. I’m assuming it’s coming from the flex pipe?

anyone else have this issue?
My dealer broke flex pipe when my epas was replaced. I made them replace it and all was well.

I was thinking the flex pipe was the most likely spot. Now to find one that isn’t from eBay
Is the flex pipe easy to replace? Will it require cutting? The parts I’m looking at says no but I wanted to ask to see if anyone has replaced this before.

Is the flex pipe easy to replace? Will it require cutting? The parts I’m looking at says no but I wanted to ask to see if anyone has replaced this before.
It was really expensive what I recall. Didn't pay but saw the part.

Have a pro doit it. No worth the risk

Ended up being the flange right past the flex pipe. Leak due to rust. They welded on a new section instead of replacing the whole thing. Costed only $65 to fix. I lucked out. 😓

Ended up being the flange right past the flex pipe. Leak due to rust. They welded on a new section instead of replacing the whole thing. Costed only $65 to fix. I lucked out. 😓
Stainless steel rusting this quickly? Wow. I have 150k and from Wisconsin.....

Stainless steel rusting this quickly? Wow. I have 150k and from Wisconsin.....
It is 409 series stainless steel. That will rust when you are in an area where salt is used on the roads during the winter.

It is 409 series stainless steel. That will rust when you are in an area where salt is used on the roads during the winter.
Never had stainless steel mufflers rust in Wisconsin..... they last.

Never had stainless steel mufflers rust in Wisconsin..... they last.
I live in Michigan and have had it happen on my 2000 F150 and now the seams on the mufflers of my 2013 Explorer. I might get 2 more years out of the Explorer mufflers but that will be it.

"Stainless steel contains chromium, and when exposed to oxygen it forms a thin invisible layer called chromium oxide. Rust can form when this layer is damaged from exposure to cleaners, chloride, high humidity, high salinity environments, and/or mechanical abrasions.Jul. 9, 2020"

Peter

Back