Solved - Exhaust manifold replacement using stainless steel studs - the verdict. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Exhaust manifold replacement using stainless steel studs - the verdict.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
This is just for informational purposes and as a reference for anybody replacing the famous exhaust manifolds on the 4.6.

I replaced both manifolds on my original motor at 190k miles about 4 years ago.

Another thread about exhaust manifolds replacement on 4.6 v8.

At about 200k miles I replaced the motor (turned out the motor was still good) but reused those "new" manifolds and the stainless steel studs I installed with them.

At about 260k, my drivers side manifold started ticking again along with more noises coming from my exhaust that developed number of holes and cracks:

ftThYuG.jpg

I ordered a new exhaust manifold and OEM style metal gaskets.
Using a regular 3/8 ratchet, I was able to break loose all 8 nuts, and using a 4mm hex key I removed all 8 studs. Removed the wheel liner, unbolted 2 down pipe 15 mm nuts, and the manifold just came out through the opening over the frame.
The whole process took me no more than 2 hrs.
It's up to you what you will use once you get the regular steel OEM studs out, but in my case it paid to use the SS studs.

Old and new exhaust.
VVjUev8.jpg

The new gaskets and reusing the old studs.
AF3H9Lf.jpg

The micro-ratchet is your friend for few of the studs and nuts
hMQ38bA.jpg

I inserted the top 4 studs, then gaskets, and then I just hang the manifold on them.
After that I re-installed the bottom 4 studs and nuts
PkauJ4s.jpg

New manifold in place
TvtMyRg.jpg

Back