• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Opinion?

Mtn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Mountaineer 5.0
I need some opinions on a new exhaust setup that I will be doing very shortly. I should be getting my TM headers pretty soon now and was wanting to change my exhaust once I got them installed. As of now I'm running a dual in/single out MagnaFlow muffler with 2 1/2 in. piping and I also have my 2 lower cats off. Here's what I can't decide....

From my upper 2 cats and back should I run a Y pipe into a single in/single out Borla muffler and maybe put a dual Borla tip on OR...

From my upper 2 cats and back put in a X pipe and run 2 single in/single out Borla mufflers side by side and run dual out the back?

It's much cheaper the first way but I really can't decide. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well let me ask this question....Do you get better performance for having two mufflers rather than one? Or would I get a little more hp and better gas mileage for having two mufflers? Anyone know this?

You don't like the MagnaFlow? I'm running the TMH with all the cats and the.. 18" Magnaflow. It seems to work good.

What are you goals? Performance? Noise? :p:

Is just cutting off the resonator a good idea for a bit more noise? My friend told me that that would help but I'm wondering what taking it off would do to performance (if anything).

I cut mine off. It made it slightly louder. No performance loss.

section525 said:
You don't like the MagnaFlow? I'm running the TMH with all the cats and the.. 18" Magnaflow. It seems to work good.

What are you goals? Performance? Noise? :p:
I like my Magnaflow muffler but all I've heard was good things about Borla so I'm wanting to experiment a little and try the Borla out. Was told the Turbo XL muffler is there quitest and is for the V8's. Quiet idle, quit freeway, but you know it's there when you romp on it. My goal is strictly performance.

jtsmith said:
Hey Mike

I will tell you this
after living with my dual out flowmaster, I am switching to a single 3" out with a quieter muffler.
Is your dual out flowmaster one muffler though dual in/dual out? I've been told not to go with those but I was wondering if 2 single in/single out mufflers would benefit you more than having 1 muffler. Most cars and Mustangs have 2 mufflers. If I went that route though I would have to throw in a x pipe before the mufflers.

Patton said:
Is just cutting off the resonator a good idea for a bit more noise? My friend told me that that would help but I'm wondering what taking it off would do to performance (if anything).
I've been told all resonators do is quiet down your muffler, that's it. Does very little for back pressure so no I don't think it hurts performance.

MaDMiKe783 said:
Is your dual out flowmaster one muffler though dual in/dual out? I've been told not to go with those but I was wondering if 2 single in/single out mufflers would benefit you more than having 1 muffler. Most cars and Mustangs have 2 mufflers. If I went that route though I would have to throw in a x pipe before the mufflers.

Yes, I have the dual in -out 50 series.
Good thing=has x pipe inside
Bad= LOUD

It is a cool sound, dont get me wrong. Nice and raspy, and screaming loud at throttle. Just not for everyday. It is so loud, most people look when I drive by. Some flinch. Kids cover thier ears, that kind of thing.

Of course, I have a cam, and some compression. If you do the same, I recommend toning it down a bit. Dual flowies with resonators might be good?, however I really want you to try the Borla so I can hear it :D

MaDMiKe783 said:
I've been told all resonators do is quiet down your muffler, that's it. Does very little for back pressure so no I don't think it hurts performance.

I guess I'll call my local custom exhaust place and see how much it would be to hack that thing off.

jtsmith said:
Dual flowies with resonators might be good?, however I really want you to try the Borla so I can hear it :D
Well I've already got my mind made up as far as going with Borla. I've had Flows & Magnaflow and they sound great but it's time to try something different. I'm not looking for something as loud as yours, just something melow but you know it's there, you know what I mean? I'll get you a sound clip when I'm done, if I can ever make up my mind ;)

MaDMiKe783 said:
Well I've already got my mind made up as far as going with Borla. I've had Flows & Magnaflow and they sound great but it's time to try something different. I'm not looking for something as loud as yours, just something melow but you know it's there, you know what I mean? I'll get you a sound clip when I'm done, if I can ever make up my mind ;)
Slightly relavent:

I have a 4.0L SOHC with the discontinued Borla catback kit as my only air/fuel mod (not including a K&N panel, but that doesn't really count). It's not as loud as one may think, but it does have an excellent tone, doesn't drone that bad (except for the fact I have 4.56 gears still turning 31's so on the highway it revs higher than normal) and let's the free-revving overhead-cam motor wail up in the powerband. I'm happy with it and if I keep the rig long enough, I may add higher-flow cats, an intake, and possibly headers.

I found this link and YES I know these are Mustangs but I think the majority of them are 5.0's. Anyways, here you can listen to pretty much every exhaust setup on a 5.0 mustang and sort of get an idea of what it could sound like on your 5.0, check it out....

http://www.donjohnii.com/Pages/Exhaust_Clips_Page.html

Back