Exhaust or intake.

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
So thanks to my brilliant haggling techniques, I have a good chunk of change left over from the 01 eddie purchase.

First thing that's getting done is a sub and amp. Previous owners had an aftermarket deck installed thus eliminating the stock sub, and I can't stand having no lows.

So after that is all said and done, I'm going to be left with about 300$ to spend.

What first: MAC Intake, or MAC Cat-Back?

Both will be getting done in the next 6 weeks, but what shall I do first?

P.S. This is the first 2nd Gen I've had where the mod bug is itching REALLY bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both those mods work well together. I don't think it really matters which you get first. Don't get hung up on the Mac name. They do make good intakes, but save some $$$ and make your own. Tons of other options on the exhaust front too. Check out the "5.0 Exhaust Thread". You might even save a few $$$ to put towards a SCT tuner (works great with the other two mods).

Inhale then Exhale is always my opinion, but you wont get optimal results unless you do both,and don't go straight for 1 brand, shop around, i made my own custom cold air and exhaust system for about 150 bucks tops, and i guarantee 300 dollars or more worth of brand name products get no better results than i did.

Exhaust shops around me are friggin ridiculous for custom jobs. Initial plan was to do a custom cat-back, but after getting quotes in the 450+ range from multiple shops, the MAC setup is just a better choice financially. I'd rather go with a canned setup, if it means not risking a questionable exhaust shop, giving me ****ty welds. I'm going to continue shopping around for a better deal on a custom job.

As far as the intake, I just dont have time/space to fab my own, like I did on my 03 back in the day, so I can just buy that and pay my guy $30 to install it while I'm at the office.

I say option C.

Save up $450 more and order a set of Torque Monsters. Neither a cat back exhaust or CAI is going to gain you crap on a 5.0 until you do the headers.

MAC anything is way over priced in my opinion.

I'd also pass on the Mac intake. Get a $60 K&N cone filter and an adaptor off eBay and you'll probably have better results for 1/5th the price.

I'd also pass on the Mac intake. Get a $60 K&N cone filter and an adaptor off eBay and you'll probably have better results for 1/5th the price.

Ever better, get an Dead Link Removed filter. :thumbsup:

$450 sounds steep for a custom catback. I paid $125 for a Flowmaster a few years back and then got charged $150 to install it, including new (larger) pipes from the cats back. Install was first rate. That was on my SOHC equipped Sport. I don't remember what I paid for my current setup on my 5.0 EB but it wasn't much more.

Whatever you do, if you're getting new pipes don't get suckered into the same diamter pipes like I saw one guy do recently. He was bragging about getting a good deal on a setup. In that case he got a no name muffler and the same diameter pipes so he got no performance gain. What's the point unless you're just trying to make your truck sound differently? (i.e. another poseur mod) You sound like you want the performance increase.

I doubt mac even produces the intake anymore either, I've had mine on backorder since last spring, doubt I'll see it at this point.
Edit:I recommend a tune from henson, the new trans program alone is worth it.

$450 sounds steep for a custom catback. I paid $125 for a Flowmaster a few years back and then got charged $150 to install it, including new (larger) pipes from the cats back. Install was first rate. That was on my SOHC equipped Sport. I don't remember what I paid for my current setup on my 5.0 EB but it wasn't much more.

Whatever you do, if you're getting new pipes don't get suckered into the same diamter pipes like I saw one guy do recently. He was bragging about getting a good deal on a setup. In that case he got a no name muffler and the same diameter pipes so he got no performance gain. What's the point unless you're just trying to make your truck sound differently? (i.e. another poseur mod) You sound like you want the performance increase.

I wanted 2 new 2.5" pipes from the cats to a flowmaster, and then a 2.5" single tailpipe and one shop quoted me $450, the other $500.

I wanted 2 new 2.5" pipes from the cats to a flowmaster, and then a 2.5" single tailpipe and one shop quoted me $450, the other $500.

Wow. I thought things were cheaper in the US. What I did with my Flowmaster was score it at a local speed shop which has killer pricing. (it was a Flowmaster 50 Series) and then got the quote to install it with 2.5" pipes like you mentioned for $150. They also welded in a stainless tip that I bought separately.

Maybe just keep calling around. We have quite a few shops in town here and their pricing varies wildly too. So does quality of their work.

5.0 Mac intake on ebay:

Heres a pic of my Mac intake with Amsoil filter from my 4.0 sohc that i flipped around and fitted onto my 5.0
I went with the mac exhaust which is a little noisy for passengers in the back seat, TMH's and a tuner.

mac intake.jpg

mac ebay 1.jpg

So thanks to my brilliant haggling techniques, I have a good chunk of change left over from the 01 eddie purchase.

What was the deal and your technique?

That's actually what I meant. I'm running an Amsoil as we speak. Mistype on my part.

Filter5.jpg

That's actually what I meant. I'm running an Amsoil as we speak. Mistype on my part.

I thought you went that route. I'ver been very pleased with mine. I just give it a good vaccuum once a year as recommended. I actually have a "pre-filter" on mine too. It's pretty dusty where I live and it seems to make a difference. They're not too restrictive either.

What was the deal and your technique?

$4215 w/ tags title and tax. 102,858mi, every option except air ride (yay!).

Technique - lots of research, knowing exactly what everything costs (tags, title, tax) and going in there with a confident attitude. Not rude, just confident, and very cavalier about the deal (ie dont let them know you REALLY like it, etc.).

took about 3 minutes to make the deal.

Wow. I thought things were cheaper in the US. What I did with my Flowmaster was score it at a local speed shop which has killer pricing. (it was a Flowmaster 50 Series) and then got the quote to install it with 2.5" pipes like you mentioned for $150. They also welded in a stainless tip that I bought separately.

Maybe just keep calling around. We have quite a few shops in town here and their pricing varies wildly too. So does quality of their work.

That's what I did. I bought my dual in single out Magnaflow from Summit then had a local shop which Blacksuv from here told me about. The shop charged me $150 to install it along with a new 2-1/2" tail pipe.

Back