exhaust pipe size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exhaust pipe size

hillio9324

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 SOHC
i just purchased a flowmaster 40 for my 2001 sport sohc, i'm wondering if the exhaust sound would be deeper if i increase the size of the piping from 2.25 to 2.50 after the muffler without making it sound like a ricer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a larger tip will deepen tone

i just purchased a flowmaster 40 for my 2001 sport sohc, i'm wondering if the exhaust sound would be deeper if i increase the size of the piping from 2.25 to 2.50 after the muffler without making it sound like a ricer.

Yes, it will deepen the tone. Which Flowmaster 40 series muffler do you have? Here's a thread I made on another forum explaining the different types of "40's" mufflers there are:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/247979-noobs-guide-flowmaster-40-series-mufflers.html

Then keep in mind the larger pipe will likely cause it to drone more as well. Those original 40's drone like no other.

Then keep in mind the larger pipe will likely cause it to drone more as well. Those original 40's drone like no other.[/QUOT

thanks for the warning about the drone but I actually have run without a muffler and right now a thrush dumped before the rear axle so the drone is not as much of a concern.

Back