Exhaust preference/opinions wanted. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust preference/opinions wanted.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer EB
i have a 91 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC. i want to put exhaust on it, i don't want it to sound like a rice burner. so what i am asking, is what exhaust has the best deep sound. or what setup sounds the best. it doesn't need to be loud, i just want it to sound nice. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

me too, i have been whole heartedly lost about what to do about my exhaust, i have no problem building it, but i want to do true dual, i was thinking some glass pack thrush pipes?

from what ive seen magnaflow 40s or 44s are the best. and they just did new ehxaust from cat back and put the 70 dollar magnaflow on. pretty easy too

i have a 91 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC
? OHV?

Just put any decent muffler on there. Magnaflow, flowmaster, borla. Nothing you put on will make it sound bad. It's not a 4 banger civic. It will either be loud, or not loud enough depending on what you decide on with a low rumble or a med rumble. Most use flowmaster 40 series. I use a 50 series cat back. It's not loud but you know it's there. What I wanted.

yea my bad. im thinking thats what ill do because when i bought it, he had just redone the exhaust from cat back, so it has good pipe on it.

so did you just take the original muffler off and put the aero turbine on? just the single pipe?

I cant remember what size pipe I am running but I rebuilt everything from the manifold back. I am still running a single pipe.

ok. yea those aero turbines sound nice. not to loud, but deep enough to make it sound bad ass. for a v6 haha

Back