• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust question

ericDay

Reaction score
City, State
Bakersfield, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport XLT
What's the difference performance-wise between the flowmaster and borla type exhausts and those monsters you see on those rice burners that make them sound like motorcycles? Is there a difference at all? If I was looking for maximum performance out of an exhaust and money was no limit which direction would I go? Seems like most nascar and formula one cars have more of a high pitched street bike sound than the throaty sound that flowmasters offer. I'm just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flowmaster is apparently a bit louder than Borla. Both are great exhausts. I have a Borla, but most people have flowmaster because it is a bit cheaper. If you get either of those exhausts you won't be disappointed

Sorry, I guess I kind of phrased that wrong. I was just using Flowmaster and Borla as examples of a type of exhaust. I just wanted to know the difference between that type of muffler and the mufflers that people put on their little honda civics that make them sound like dirt bikes.

cost?

I have been reading exhaust topics because I want to get one and am just curious what the cost is for a Borla or a Flowmaster?
thx
(Including Installation and not including)

check http://www.4wheelparts.com for prices. answering the original poster, the only real difference is as simple as the fact that exhausts for imports were designed for imports, exhausts for domestic trucks and suv's were designed for them, or something... if you know what i mean. :cool:

if you are looking for a muffler.... id go dynomax. im going to take off my flowmasters and put dynomax on. the dynomax ultraflow muffler puts out twice the cfms as the flowmaster. wich means louder. =)
they are expensive though. 99$ for my explorer.

The reason the imports sound like a motorcycle and an Explorer doesn't is because an import car's engine is closer in size to a motorcycles (much closer). The engine size, number of cylinders and muffler designe all affect the sound. Even if you put a Borla on a Honda Civic, it would still sound like a weedwacker on steroids. Your Explorer has at least 4.0 liters under the hood compared to 1.3-2.0 liters. It will sound a lot different and more throaty than any import.

You can't even compare the sounds of most street vehciles to Nascar and Indy cars. They don't run mufflers so the sound will be completely different. When you are pumping 700 HP at 8500 RPM, you don't wan't the backpressure that a muffler creates. Then again you aren't going to be driving your Winston Cup car down your street at 2:00 in the morning either.

Back