• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Questions.

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello I will hopefully be getting my exhaust done once I can find a good shop around me (monmix gave me a suggestion) but I have some questions.

Should I bring my own tips? hear shops charge alot for tips
Should I buy 1 or 2 high flow cats? I think my Sport Trac has 4 but not sure
I've already got the muffler (single in/dual out flowmaster original 40) anything else I should bring? other than cash :D
Do i need anything custom for my exhaust? like Y pipe or anything?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

Yes, buy your own tips. Cost $5 each instead of $50 each.

I'd buy 2 high-flows to be safe. One on first gens replaces 2 cats, so to replace 4 2 should work.

Do you have an SOHC engine? I think that's dual inlet isn't it? May need a Y-pipe then.

Yea it has a SOHC in it and I can get a dual/dual if needs be I can take the muffler back within 60 days no hassle just thought I would need a single in i'll take a picture of what it looks like under my truck.

here they are.

PICT1333.jpg

PICT1330.jpg

here is a ****ty drawing of how my setup looks like.

don't laugh too hard.

setup.jpg

not sure how the laws are where you live, but as a federal law there are only certain things that warrant removing the stock cats... you beetter check those laws... some places wont even replace cats at all....

I wouldn't even bother with the cat's unless your planning on BIG upgrades down the road. They are rather expensive, at least the ones I've seen.

Im personaly a bit skeptical about that catalytic converter. It says its 49 state emissions law compliant, which means that it actualy has some converting guts in it. Since the catalysts in it are real expensive, i can't imagine theres alot of them in there for 30$. So in order to make it more effective at converting, i'll bet they made it very low flow. It probaly allows less air to flow than a stock catalytic converter.

So with my exhaust can i do dual in/dual out? if so i think i will go take the muffler back on thursday. My cats look nasty are they suppose to look like that? how much are stock cat replacements?

Anyone? i need to know by thursday if i should get a D/D muffler.

dotn try to convert your truck to true duals, thats pointelss... tis a n/a sohc v6..... if you want to have dual tips, find a shop to do it, and get a single in dual out muffler.....

Awesome thanks again man that saves me a trip to the shop. If the stock cats need replacing will a shop usually have stock cats for sell or would i have to buy them myself? they look pretty nasty and leak what looks like water (no smell).

there are differnt laws pertaining to actually replacing the cats you will want to check with the uffler shop, i f you are replacing them i suggest getting some universal one as a stock cat is $$$$$ i was going to replace one on my tercel several years ago and it was like $900 from the dealer!

Ouch! thanks again man im gonna call the M.V.A tomorrow and see if i can get some answers.

ions, don't touch your cats. The sohc's need that back pressure they cause, and if your going with duals. Don't go pass 2.25" or you'll lose some lowend grunt. I ran into this problem with my 01' ranger w/sohc V6. Unless you want to regear your truck to get better lowend. Your better off getting some JBA headers over high flow cats.

Back