Exhaust redo for '94 Eddie Bauer @ 190k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust redo for '94 Eddie Bauer @ 190k

barberjb

Reaction score
City, State
Vineland, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
Hi all!

I was anticipating a redo of the exhaust system pretty soon due to a leak at the seal between the cat conv and the muffler, but that has been accelerated due to the muffler and tailpipe supports rusting off and now I just have a leaky muffler tied on with a hanger!

So here's what I'm looking at getting:

JBA 1633S-1JT titanium ceramic headers
Magnaflow 23388 cat
Gibson 619685 Stainless steel cat-back.

I probably don't absolutely need the headers or even the cat converter, but with the surface rust on everything underneath, I'm concerned that I won't be able to reuse the flanges + that the cat converter will fail in the near future given the life (I don't recall ever having it replaced).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is the rest of the truck rust-wise?

How is the rest of the truck rust-wise?

It's not too bad, but I'm no expert on these matters. The truck spent 94-98 in NJ/PA (I got it used in 96), then spent 98-05 in Oregon and New Mexico before returning to the East Coast There are no major rust issues that I'm aware of - certainly I don't have major rust coming through body panels. There is some flaking underneath, particularly with the exhaust as you might expect, but everything else appears to be a surface layer.

I've at least gotten compliments from mechanics on the overall maintenance of it given the age. I'm holding on for NJ 'QQ' plates come 2019! :D

Well in that case God speed on the exhaust redo. In all honesty stainless would be moot if the vehicle was a rust bucket. With proper care and winter maintenance (especially on the East Coast) you should be fine with your truck.

Im doing the same thing, everything will line up as long as you buy all new w/ all hardware... Im getting Pacesetter Headers w/ all new gaskets (even comes w/ down pipe) and bolts. a Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat Convt, i have a 2.5" exhaust already cut up and fitted, this will be fitted with my FM Delta 40. remember over here on this coast get an underbody car wash at least once a week, you can fight the rust on the truck its self with welding in new sheet mtal then painting it... my self next year is welding in new sheet metal in places needed and then prime it, bed line it from the grove down all the way around then paint it.

Back