exhaust shop dont carry dual in single out muffler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exhaust shop dont carry dual in single out muffler?

ohioplayer43

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
ok today was the day i wanted to get a new super 40 muffler put on my 99 sport. i went to three diffrent places and nobody carries dual in single out mufflers my only other option was to pay 350 for cat back or 525 for duals at a shop in glen burnie Md. What do i need to do?? i dont wanna order offline but if i have to i will

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flo Pro

not all mufflers can be run in two directions
Flowmasters will not work backwards, so no Super 40 for you!

I like Flo Pro, dual 2.5" inlet, single 3" outlet, or the same muffler can be a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet

Flo Pro makes a bunch of different sizes, they are a very good quality muffler and cheaper then the big names

Haha, I've been in your exact place. I ended up getting myself a Mac 3" catback, it was around 525$ or so and I installed it myself.

Magnaflow's can be ran reversed and will sound a hell of a lot better than Flowmasters.

Flowmaster 50 series SUV. not the loudest but sounded badass on my sohc 99. perfect match 2.5 in 3 out... it was a dream to put on... almost no issue... NOT loudest

I believe the Mac catback comes with a flopro muffler. I love the sound of my V8 with this thing, it's quite distinct. Not overly loud, but gives off that certain tone.. of v8 power.. haha... you have a v6, don't you? I don't know how this will sound on a v6.

Flo Pro sounds great V6 or V8, they are a quality muffler

I have Flo Pro on my 88 BII and my 96 explorer, both 5.0L trucks with CAI and headers.

The only thing about Flo-Pro is I can't find an online seller. Flo-Pro's site list several muffler shops around me that sell them but they will not do what I want done.

I'm going to have to take a little trip down Jon's way to have the exhuast on my 97 Cougar done.

I say stick to the super 40 idea- its a bad ass muffler. I run it and love it

Here's what I had to do

Get the following items

http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=169

This will transform your dual 2.25" pipes into a single 2.5" pipe

Get this muffler

http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-95..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1234927786&sr=8-1

Now tell the shop to weld it all up and bend you a custom 2.5" tail pipe. Go and get yourself a nice tip as well

Done ;)

Here is a guy that did this exact same thing

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

AND another

P1010042.jpg

P1010043.jpg

2q16xis.jpg

Y pipe scavenging both banks together is not as good as letting the muffler do the scavenging, thats why I chose dual in single outlet for both my V8 truck, BII has a 3" pipe out, 96 sploder has a 2.5" pipe out (more torque)

Any performance cat back setup is better then stock!

my 96 5.0L, E cam, TMH, 1" spacer, CAI, and:

First they hacked off the secondary cat converters:
exhaustdual.jpg

Ran dual 2.5" pipes along the frame back the muffler hangers:
muffler.jpg

Flo Pro dual 2.5 inlet single 3" outlet

2.5" single pipe over the rear axle and out the side behind the pass rear:
warrior.jpg

Simple and it sounds MEAN, definatley picked up some low end with this single 2.5" pipe. I wanted a 3" but Chuck knows his stuff and suggested the 2.5", he was correct.

Nice photos and ideas. I bought Flowmaster cat back kit from Summit online and it came with the single inlet and single outlet. I then purchased a dual inlet and single outlet Flowmaster from them and finished the install. The mufflers are both the Series 50 SUV muffler not too loud but they sound nice on my SOHC V6. I wish I would have known about that "Y adapter" in the previous photos before I purchased the dual inlet muffler. I could have used the original single inlet one that came with the kit. You can find the muffler you want online and its probably cheaper although you wil have to install it to save money instead of having to pay someone to do it negating the savings. Good Luck !

aight well i just ended up dropping 300 on a flowmaster system and lemme tell you it sounds badd ass im very impressed i got a free magna flow y pipe because i went to high school with the dude that was installing it he put on a original 40 series with 2.5 pipes and its just what i was looking for. sound clips will be posted soon

Haha, I've been in your exact place. I ended up getting myself a Mac 3" catback, it was around 525$ or so and I installed it myself.

damn dude how did u end up paying 525? its 250 bucks on explorerexpress.

Flo Pro

not all mufflers can be run in two directions
Flowmasters will not work backwards, so no Super 40 for you!

I like Flo Pro, dual 2.5" inlet, single 3" outlet, or the same muffler can be a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet

Flo Pro makes a bunch of different sizes, they are a very good quality muffler and cheaper then the big names

Couldn't agree more. I've got a dual in/single out Flo-Pro on my 5.0 V8 Eddie Bauer. I used to have a SOHC Sport and originally put a dual in, single out Magnaflow (still in a box in my garage) and followed it up with a Flowmaster 50 series, same configuration. Sounds to me like these exhaust shops you deal with don't want to do any legwork for you. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I did a review of the Flo Pro here and listed the model # in the review. I also reviewed the Flowmaster here.

Daniel bought the exhaust from me. I retailed it for $249.00 (or $259.00) he also bought a cold air intake and some other pieces. So this was the total for his bill.

If you are intersted in cat-back systems gimme a shout. I am willing to work something out with you. I have a used Magnaflow in my shop I will sell for cheap. I used it for around 20k miles. -j

I should have been more clear, thanks for straightening that up Jon.. I just had thought to myself... $525 for a full catback AND an intake... great deal considering shops wanted to charge close to that total amount Just for a simple muffler swap. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

definately lol i was a bit confused there for a min but this makes more sense lol

Back