• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust sound clips of mine

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I finally got around to creating a few sound clips of my exhaust. They're mp3s about 100-400kb in size. Your best bet to listen to them is probably to right click the links and save locally. When I play them through the web browser (IE) the quicktime player mutes the audio when it gets loud.

Outside , I placed the mic about five feet behind the center of the rear bumper and about 10 inches off the ground.
Onramp , Accelerating through third gear onto the highway. Mic placed on the center arm rest. Acceleration seems to suck after second gear, maybe the transmission shifted me from second to fourth. The sound gets distored a couple times, oh well. Those are my turn signals clicking at the end.
Inside , Mic in same place, windows up. For some reason it stopped recording before I revved the engine, so you just get the start up.

I'm thinking of putting on Flowmaster's new Super 40 muffer. They say it flows better than the others, has less interior sound but a deeper exterior tone. I wonder if they're comparing the sound to the original 40 or 40 delta.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Wtf???

That clip is of a 50 Delta?!?!?! I have a 50 Series SUV Delta (Which I assume is either the same one or close to the same one as what you have) that came with my Force II cat-back, and it's about one twentieth as loud as that! You can't even hear it inside the cab! Man, what's goin on here?

Well, I have intake mods too, so it probably makes everything louder. According to Flowmaster's graphs, the 50 SUV is louder on the inside and quieter on the outside, compared to to the 50 Delta.

Sonik - How did you make the clips? I want to do that with my 40 series. Thanks

I got a cheap Labtec microphone, about $10 I think is was, and used the Sound Recorder program included with Windows to record. The program is simple to use and saves the files in .wav format. I used Goldwave, a free shareware program, to edit the recording a little and convert to .mp3.

Last year I made a couple recordings when I had a 60 Delta on but didn't have a notebook computer so I had to haul my entire desktop computer out there... case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, microphone, headphones and then run an extension cord. Now I have notebook, made things a lot easier :)

Back