Exhaust system for V6? Keeping sound stock? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust system for V6? Keeping sound stock?

Calling out all the troops on this one.

It seems the one thing holding me back from upgrading to a nice cat back system is the noise. Running one on a 4.0 would sound too much like a rice burner, as such, I dont want to touch it without input.

Who here runs a cat back on the V6? I want to make this as free flowing as possible, but dont want the sound level above stock.

Is there any way to accomplish this feat?

Everyone's comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not found anything for what you are looking for. It is the same sound I want, a more aggressive sound that is about stock volume. Everything I have tried sounds stock or is too loud. If you find something, though, let me know.

I just posted this tonight to another member and the same basic question;

" The V6 muffler question is the biggest, no one has found one which eliminates the whine/buzzing of the V6's. I'd suggest anything which has yet to be tried, like the few chambered mufflers. Skip any mufflers with straight through paths and louvered hole pipes, which is 99% of them. Those don't change the V6 sound much, and they are louder. I'm going to try the Edelbrock SDT type, and a resonator, soon. Good luck,"

I have the old Edelbrock RPM Exhaust, with a custom 2.5" cat back....and it helped put the X into some decent numbers @ the wheels...It's is VERY quiet....

On my OTHER X, I have a 3" Catback, it has an AWESOME sound...doesn't have the raspy whine that a V6 should have.

I've been talking about getting a sound clip for a over a year...but I've been REALLY busy...someday I'll get it...LOL

Ryan

Gibson exhaust is the way to go if you are looking for a very mild sounding exhaust but still flows like a high performer. I carry the line. I feel you would be happy with it.

i've heard borla makes our V6s sound nice.
I'm personally going w/ Magnaflow..i heard a sound clip on you tube and i like how it sounds.
On my 01 sport (also a V6) i have a straight pipe..w/ only 1 cat (comes w/ 4 cats)
And it sounds mean..at idle and at low rpms it does sound like a v8 but then at high rpms (6K+) you get that famous V6 whine but its not that bad. I've tried getting a clip but my camera sucks at taking videos..gets really distored

I bought a dynomax cat back with a super turbo muffler, and with the k and n filter, it sounds mean. i dont know about this v6 whine you speak of. to be honest, everyone that rides with me all think it is a V8 performance and sound. idk, im a musician, so im not tone def and i would hear this, but i hear no whine from my combo.

My 99 SOHC has a custom 2 1/2"' cat back with a Flowmaster 70 muffler.

It is very quite until you stomp on it.

I bought a dynomax cat back with a super turbo muffler, and with the k and n filter, it sounds mean. i dont know about this v6 whine you speak of. to be honest, everyone that rides with me all think it is a V8 performance and sound. idk, im a musician, so im not tone def and i would hear this, but i hear no whine from my combo.

you can really only hear it at WOT.
Not sure how you drive but try slamming on the gas..you'll hear the whine we are talking about.

Okay now that we're on the subject here too, I might as well ask the question. On my SOHC I can definitely hear the v6 whine. I've got a cat-back 2.5" system with a single-in dual-out muffler. Whats the best way to get rid of the whine while keeping adequate back-pressure for performance? That's my conundrum.

"...I'd suggest anything which has yet to be tried, like the few chambered mufflers. Skip any mufflers with straight through paths and louvered hole pipes, which is 99% of them...."

The trick is to find a muffler which muffles the sound and is free flowing. The stock muffler doesn't do the job, and it's restrictive. That's why I say stay away from any muffler that you can see through. Those are letting at least some of the sound through unchanged. That's what 99% of everybody is buying/using.

I own a pair of used Borla SS mufflers which are a straight through design, and I don't plan to use them for either of my trucks. Regards,

every now and then there is a faint, i mean faint turbo like whine, but its bearly noticable. and trust me, i get on it alot. people dont realize how quick these things are till they try and race!! ;)

I'd have to say Gibson as well. This was my first cat back system, and I changed it because I wanted to experiment with a higher flow muffler, and wanted a little more noise out of it.

The Gibson will give you a performance gain, and will be just a TAD louder than stock. Just enough to say something's different, and that's it.

Gibson is designed with sound in mind (Quite).

Another popular muffler for the V6 mustangs is the GT take-offs. I'm not sure what this does to the sound but I'm guessing it's quite too?

I agree, Gibson will flow plenty and will be quiet. The also make catbacks for our applications.

CDW..I kinda disagree with your statement.

My White `92 has a muffler that you can see through (Center In/Offset out...or vice-versa) and it is VERY quiet, it's a 2.5" Custom Cat-back, and helped get my X to 157hp/256tq @ the wheels..and 21mpg

Where as my Green `93 has a Custom catback 3" system w/ a Ravin (Midas house brand, Flowmaster knock-off) muffler and it has the baffles in it so you can't see through it...it doesn't make as much power as my white one, but it is Louder

I have yet to Dyno the Green one, but I will.

Walker dynomax. best bang for the buck. I think i paid 90 bucks for the catback system from summit, and it sounded great.

3" Catback is okay but is overkill. It's not needed for any flow reason unless there's a turbo going on soon.

In all honestly, you can go with a 5" exhaust if you can fit it, and have a "choke point" (At the right location" and it will still perform right, but the sound will change. Anyone agree with me on this one?

I would never go with anything larger than 2 1/4" on an OHV motor or 2 1/2" on the SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have posted NUMEROUS times that I have a 3" catback on 1 of my Explorers...The other X has 2.5" cat back...

I lost 0 low end.....Everything from the K&N Air filter to the 2nd cat is stock...

It sounds AWESOME!

aldive, I have a lot of respect for you and what you have done to your X to get the numbers you have gotten. But you seem to have taken offense to me, and what I have done with MY Explorers.....What I have done works. And works well.

Ryan

Back