• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Tips

FIERCE

Reaction score
City, State
INDIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Can anyone explain to me what different exhaust tip sizes do? Is it just for looks or does "Size Matter" lol. Also Ive got a dual catback custom exhaust system and am trying to decide on the tip size...and I just got KN cold air intake, anyone know of any other adjustments or tune ups I can do for better Horsepower or performance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes tips can matter just as the size pipes you get matters to. The smaller the tip Or Pea shooters as we call them make your truck pop alot more and have a higher pitched sound, while the larger tips make it have a deeper sound.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters and my tips are 2 1/2 inch tips i am thinkin bout getting 3 or 3 1/2 inch but i am not to sure yet.

Thanks Gentlemen!

Well... From my experience from my racing days, The larger the pipe you get, the less resriction you have, and your torque will drop, the smaller then your Hp drops, SO you have to find a balance between the two. But that only applies to the whole exhaust, I dont really think it applies to the tip :)

The tip is only 6" out of the entire 8' of the system. I doubt the size of the tip matters much if at all. Shiny ones look purty though.

fierce have u decided what size tips u wanna get on ur sport trac

The tip is only 6" out of the entire 8' of the system. I doubt the size of the tip matters much if at all. Shiny ones look purty though.

Exactly, as long as it isnt smaller then the exaust system it doesnt really matter.

fierce have u decided what size tips u wanna get on ur sport trac
No sir, I am getting them done this weekend and will decide then. Question for ya though....what are the pros and cons of removing the silencer? And how do you do it?

i have a single exiting out the right rear corner 3x18"

Take off the resonator (silencer). Going to be louder, little less restrictive. Cut it out and weld in a new piece of pipe in it's place.

Exactly, as long as it isn't smaller then the exaust system it doesnt really matter.

That's not entirely accurate.

While you don't want to put a cork in the tailpipe, exhaust gases cool and condense as they progress through the exhaust system. A smaller pipe downstream can flow just as effectively as a larger pipe upstream. Many factory exhaust systems exercise this principle.

In fact, a smaller diameter can be better for performance since it increases gas velocity, therefore improving scavenging. The effect is reduced the further downstream though. A well-engineered exhaust system typically drops down a pipe size after the muffler(s).

A bigger tailpipe will give more noise, but offer little in terms of performance. Such is the case with most cat-back systems. Most offer little, if any, power gains. They do give a better sound, which many users wrongly assume equals more power. (FWIW, I have a Dynomax Ultra Flow cat-back system on my '02.)

Back to the poster's original question: Use whatever size looks good. :)

How's that for a long-winded noob second post?!?! :D

Ever heard a stock race ready 2000 Mustang Cobra R? It's a pretty quiet Mustang with uber performance.

The day I bought my Sport Trac in June 2000 and guy was picking up his Cobra R at the same dealership. He did a nice burnout in the parking lot, but the exhaust was pretty quiet. But his Saleen Mustang that his girlfriend drove home was plenty loud.

But if you know anything about the 2000 Mustang Cobra R's is that they are race ready Mustangs from the factory. 5.4L too.

Back