exhaust y pipe question

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
I have a question. I've have a cel that comes on and off, needs o2 sensors most likely but ive been experiencing the sulfur smell that comes along with bad cats...

Now the sohc cats come on 2 separate pipes, i could replace them with OEM, or OEM equivalent parts...

There is a company Random Technology (?) that makes a y pipe without the cats, which allows for a single highflow cat down stream. This is marketed for a ST...would it fit a 1997 sohc sport?

The prior question in turn prompts another one regarding this: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2949279920.html

The guy claims it came from a 96, which would be OHV... but then says it fits an 01 ST...which would be a sohc....could i throw that in, put in my own single highflow cat? Or is that guy lying when he says it fits a ST.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question. I've have a cel that comes on and off, needs o2 sensors most likely but ive been experiencing the sulfur smell that comes along with bad cats...

Now the sohc cats come on 2 separate pipes, i could replace them with OEM, or OEM equivalent parts...

There is a company Random Technology (?) that makes a y pipe without the cats, which allows for a single highflow cat down stream. This is marketed for a ST...would it fit a 1997 sohc sport?

The prior question in turn prompts another one regarding this: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2949279920.html

The guy claims it came from a 96, which would be OHV... but then says it fits an 01 ST...which would be a sohc....could i throw that in, put in my own single highflow cat? Or is that guy lying when he says it fits a ST.
I can't answer everything for you because I just don't have the answers..Most people will tell you to buy oem system like they have money growing on trees in the back of there yards but I DON"T ... If it was mine I would rebuild the factory setups with universal high flows cats which are really cheap and do it right the first time but the cheapest way possible...

It's possible that the factory y-pipe was the same for both 4.0 engines just to save money.
Back in the day my dad had a '77 LTD with a 351 and single exhaust but the 460 Police Interceptor dual exhaust bolted right up. :D
The y-pipe listing at zabteck.com says it will fit both Sports and Sport Tracs.
I have been told that as long as you leave the main cat behind the y-pipe it will pass emissions. The y-pipe replaces the two smaller pre-cats. If it still stinks, you can replace the main cat with a high-flow unit from Random Tech or Magnaflow.

It's possible that the factory y-pipe was the same for both 4.0 engines just to save money.
Back in the day my dad had a '77 LTD with a 351 and single exhaust but the 460 Police Interceptor dual exhaust bolted right up. :D
The y-pipe listing at zabteck.com says it will fit both Sports and Sport Tracs.
I have been told that as long as you leave the main cat behind the y-pipe it will pass emissions. The y-pipe replaces the two smaller pre-cats. If it still stinks, you can replace the main cat with a high-flow unit from Random Tech or Magnaflow.

Sport only has 2 cats, no precats

running rich?

Before assuming your cats are bad I suggest that you make sure the engine is not running rich due to some malfunction. When the air/fuel ratio is rich the cats overheat and smell. If you have no DTCs indicating richness then check for black smoke or poor gas mileage.

I get a random CEL but it is for lean conditions. Now that its getting warmer the smell and running issues i've had have dramatically reduced. It used to be daily. Hasn't happened in a while. Its weird...

Back