• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust ?

mercuryman97

Reaction score
City, State
greenville,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
i have a 1997 mercury mountaineer 5.0L v8 and i have true duel exhaust with two original flow 40 series flowmasters with 2 1/2 inch piping and it is ran from the cats back......I want to make it louder...it just aint loud enough....how can i make it louder...and if i cut the cats off and run a straight pipe from the mufflers to the headers would that make it louder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that would be illegal, removing the secondary cats may be a different story, the primary cats are all thats required here in CO and I am not running the secondary cats on any of my 5.0L trucks, the primary's are still in place. I dispose of the old cats legally (friends exhaust shop)

My friend has a DoDge Dakota with the 4.7L and true duals, no mufflers. Sounds *****IN!!

You can try a search for this but on this forum removing the catalytic converters is not considered a good idea.

Swap the 40's w/ some straight through race mufflers. They are usually 18" long and about 4"-5" round. I had them and it was what some would say too loud. I personally liked the set up.

Back