Exhuast Manifold Bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhuast Manifold Bolt

Chav

Reaction score
Now I have really gotten my self in some deep stuff. I am in the middle of replacing the head gaskets on my 93 ford explorer. I have removed the passenger side head, and now I am trying to remove the driver's side head. The two bolts on the exhaust manifold closest to the fire wall are giving me loads of trouble. The top bolt has been rounded off because the socket I had been using decided to crack. I have no idea how to remove this bolt since it is so throughly stuck into the head. The other bolt is imposible to get to. I can get a socket on it, but there is no room to move the ratchet. I am thinking of leaving the exhaust manifold attached to the head and disconnecting the exhaust manifold from the exhaust pipe and pulling the head and the exhaust manifold out as one peice. As I was concidering this idea I realized that the pipe to manifold connecting bolts are not in the most excesable location. The bolt closest to the frame rail I might be able to undo with 5 or 6 extensions on my rachet and the other bolt...I can not imagine how i will get that one out. How do people remove these bolts? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get myself out of this?

There's nothing I hate more than a stubborn exhaust manifold bolt. Try WD-40... it can work wonders sometimes. Also try tapping the head of the bolt with a hammer to try to free it up (although personally, this has never worked for me, that's what all the manuals say). A good impact wrench will loosen rusted bolts because of its tapping action, but I would reccomend soaking the bolts with WD-40 first so you don't break them. The only other thing I can think of (and this is if you get really desperate) is to drill or grind the bolt-heads off so the manifold will lift off, then worry about getting the studs out when you can put the entire cylinder head on your workbench. This would also allow you to spray WD-40 directly onto the threads where they go into the cylinder head. If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest investing in a good pair of vice grips. Hope this helps you get out of your deep stuff. Good luck.
-jm

I don't know how you are attacking these bolts but I found it a lot easier to get to them by removing the wheel and the inside of the fender. This will give you a clear view of the bolts.

------------------
Keith Van Sise
97 Sport
JBA Headers Borla Cat-Back
KKM Intake 31X10.5 BFG AT's
Alpine deck Alpine Amp
JL 10's R.F. 5X7's
Hella 500's Brush Guard

After taking a second look i realized that it is easiest to take off the wheel, but i had to figure this out on my own becuase I didnt recieve Keith's reply until after i was already done. I used a 3/8 socket and used an extension then hammered the socket onto the bolt. Then the bolts came right off. Now all i have to do is get the heads checked and put it all back together....yeah.

Back