Exhust In The Way (Removing Tranny) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhust In The Way (Removing Tranny)

rkalb

ElecExplorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nevada City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD,1996 XLT 4x4
I found a 96' Explorer and it doesn't start i think the ring gear is bad. But anyways im pulling the tranny to get to it and the exhaust cumming from the manifold is in the way. I can't seem to figure out how to get the bolts off the manifold any ideas? Also any other ideas on why it doesn't start? It makes a narly grinding noise when you turn the key and ive already repaced the starter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A long extention 1/2" is best and some PB Blaster for a couple of days before you plan to remove them. try to work them out and in a little at first increasing with each turn. if they will not give the only way may be to break them then you are left with the task of removing the manifolds , hopeing that none of those bolts strip (the top rear most bolt probably will) and take them to the machine shop to be drilled out unless ofcourse you have the proper tooling to drill and re-tap the holes. Mine would not budge so i broke them removed them drilled them and tapped them. What a B%^$&#

With yours not running it makes this more difficult but I just went through this with my 2000 I'm doing a trans on. My bolts were horrendous looking so I took it to a muffler shop and let them deal with getting them out. They have torches and a lift. Cost me $280 but it was money well spent in terms of skinned knuckles and increasing your profanity vocabulary. When they put it back together to drive it home have them use slightly smaller diameter bolts and nuts as opposed to the bolts that thread into the manifold. That way you can cut them should you ever need to remove them again if they get stuck.

the m50d can be removed with the pipe in place, not easily but it can be done.

As others have said before, use all efforts to not break the bolts off. However if you do break them off, it is not such a terrible thing.

Try to use PB blaster and work them around a bit.

Try using heat on them (watch for flammable objects/substances)

If you are strapped for cash, don't have a tap and die set, or the means/funds to a machine/auto shop you can, as a last resort break the bolts and drill out the bolts then through bolt the manifolds to the Y pipe. Again not the factory thing but in some instances, the best way to go.

In the middle of a doing an A4LD swap myself and had both break on the drivers side. Not going to pay to have it towed somewhere to have them tapped, nor am I going to try to tap them in place or take them off of the truck and risk snapping a bolt in the head. Instead I drilled them out on the truck and will through bolt them.

Good luck and hope you get them off NICELY......

If you got a torch handy, completely cut the pipe with it and weld them back after tranny goes back in.

Check the ring gear

Before going to the trouble of dropping the tranny to get at the ring gear I'd pull the starter and have a friend turn the engine with a wrench on the crank while you watch the gear go by. if you get a 360deg rotation you could see if the ring gear is truly at fault. You may have an electrical problem resistance in the starter circuit the relay the ground strap get a good manual that walks you through testing an electrical circuit. If you're careful you could try hooking a pair of jumper cables with a known good battery or a jump pack to the starter terminal I'd fasten a nice new piece of heavy insulated wire probably 6 gage min with a good terminal end attatched solidly to one end to the starter so you can get a good connection with the jumper clamp without danger of grounding out.
Another thought if you just found this vehicle turning the engine with a wrench on the crank will also let you know if she's locked up that makes the starter not turn also.
Just always tru to diagnose the trouble in the least invasive/labor intensive way possible.

damn i gotta do the same thing on my 96... this should be fun.

Back