• Register Today It's free!

"Expanded" Fuel Tank

vincewarde

Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Many years ago, I had a 1984 Nissan 4x4. I was able to by what amounted to a fuel tank "expansion" tank. It mounted in place of the spare tire and was interconnected to the OEM tank. The filler tube was redirected to the expansion tank and a cross connect allowed fuel to "overflow" into the OEM tank during fill up. Smaller tubes connected the top and bottom of the tanks and allowed for the fuel levels in the tanks to remain equal as the fuel was used.

What I liked about this tank:

1) It did not present any emission control problems
2) It was completely passive in use, no switches no second fuel pump, etc
3) It worked perfectly for years
4) It increased my fuel capacity from about 14.5 gal to 29.5 gal

So, my questions are:

1) Is anything like this available for the Explorer?
2) Has anyone used this method to build or adapt their own tank?
3) Is there any technical reason why something like this would not work?
4) Has anyone set up a 2nd fuel tank using other methods?

Thanks to all who respond!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are not any specifically for the Ex. there are some aftermarket units. I've seen some that are in the bottom of a truck bed tool box. The thing with these trucks is the tank is only on one side and completely covered by passenger area. You will either have to install a second tank, pump, sender, and switch. Or you will have to modify an aftermarket unit to your system. the second tank in the spare tire area is the way i would go.

Good luck, remember to be safe with playing with fuel systems.

For thoughts on a tank to consider, try looking up "tank relocation". A BII tank will fit, but, it will also hang down a bit...

Ghosttrain2, that second shot is a real good one. It shows the "hang down" that I am referring to. Depending on the trail/style of riding that you do, the tank may or may not get hung up. Around here in Eastern Ky, a tank hanging down like that is going to get nailed by a tree stump, rock ledge, something else. In other places, it may not be such an issue, so the shot is a good one for some one to look at and be able to decided for themselves. Thanks for posting that one.

Back