expected power/response difference?... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

expected power/response difference?...

Iron-Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
I have a 2000 5.0 AWD and I'm doing the following series of mods next week all at the same time. I plan to also get a SCT tuner and a set of tunes from Doug with these mods included into the tuning.

What kind of gains should I expect to see with these mods and the tune?

-MAC CAI
-1" Intake Spacer (Ford Racing)
-Gibson Catback Exhaust (specific to the 5.0 V8 explorer)
-Torque Monster Headers
-Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump (replacing the sending unit and float at the same time with OEM Ford parts due to inaccuracy with message center)

future upgrades will include:
9mm spark plug wires (Ford Racing)
MSD 4 tower coil packs
Bosch platinum +4 spark plugs
throttle body port & polish
C&L 73mm MAF body
30# Matched set fuel injectors (Ford Racing)

any info and insight would be much appreciated

Mike

Just off the cuff I'd say 235-245 HP at the crank. Sounds like a good set of mods, except I've had issues with Bosch plugs. Most people will tell you to either use Motorcraft or Autolite double platinums.

Why are you going with the monster fuel pump? Are you planning on big power adders later like a supercharger or turbo? The cam is measly in the stock engine, about 0.421" lift. You can get a big breathing improvement with no adverse effect on vacuum and idle by using the FRPP/Crane die cast bolt down full roller 1.7:1 rockers. They will fit under the stock valve covers. Also, if you're handy with a die grinder, you can clean up the inside of the EGR adapter (the big aluminum elbow) with sandpaper rolls. It's an easy and effective mod for high RPM applications.

I'm doing a lot of small things now to prep for a Ford Racing 9psi supercharger around this time next year.

I asked a couple mechanics about putting in the Ford Racing 1.7 roller rockers and a E303 cam and they told me it wasn't worth the money and time to do because I wouldn't notice a difference with them in. Initially I planned to have the roller rockers installed next week along with the other mods since the top half of the engine was already going to be off.
If they are in fact an addition that is worth considering for my truck then I will get them sometime this summer and see if they do make a difference.

Back