Explore 2008 ( Rough idle, staling, hesitating when acceleration ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explore 2008 ( Rough idle, staling, hesitating when acceleration )

Mohammas1985

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008, Explorer, V6
My 2008 Explorer is staling when stoping or reducing speed around 20 km/hr, rough idle, hesitating when acceleration.
Just today noticed that air condition compressor is connected despite I am not turning it on!! With a voice of his his his his !!?
I replaced EGR, MAF, fuel pump, engine wiring harness.
I spent too much money and I need help to figure out the issue before spending more money

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked for vaccum leaks?

No, please let me know how to do it and what does it mean.
Thank you
Hmmm... how to explain vacuum in an engine....... As a result of the process of making an engine run, the engine creates a vacuum. Certain systems in the vehicle use this vacuum to control particular engine functions. Now if there is a broken line, air invades the system causing the engine to lose vaccum. An EGR is an example of something that usually operates off of engine vacuum. So if there is a leak on the EGR line then the EGR would not function properly.

Buy a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running, lightly spray carb cleaner on vacuum lines or intake and/or intake manifold. If the vehicle idle smooths out after spraying a particular area, there is probably a vaccum leak present in that area.

Sorry. I probably should've asked these questions first but what made you change all the parts you mentioned earlier? Were they broken or were you trying to fix this particular problem by throwing parts at it?

Hmmm... how to explain vacuum in an engine....... As a result of the process of making an engine run, the engine creates a vacuum. Certain systems in the vehicle use this vacuum to control particular engine functions. Now if there is a broken line, air invades the system causing the engine to lose vaccum. An EGR is an example of something that usually operates off of engine vacuum. So if there is a leak on the EGR line then the EGR would not function properly.

Buy a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running, lightly spray carb cleaner on vacuum lines or intake and/or intake manifold. If the vehicle idle smooths out after spraying a particular area, there is probably a vaccum leak present in that area.

Sorry. I probably should've asked these questions first but what made you change all the parts you mentioned earlier? Were they broken or were you trying to fix this particular problem by throwing parts at it?

I changed EGR, MAF, O2 sensor as it appeared on the diagnostic OBD II. but after changing them car starts stalling more and more. the technician advised that fuel pump is most properly the reason (so i changed it, as no was able to test it before changing it).

after all above, i started targeting electrical technicians and three of them advised that ECM/PCM is faulting due to defective engine wiring hassle. so i changed it to make sure if the issue is from it or not, but the car kept doing the same!!
I know the procedure is not correct but there's no smart technicians in my territory unfortunately which is almost the case here. they do the easy way which is assuming the fault if they couldn't know it.

By vacuum leak do you mean intake O ring replacement?

P.S rough idle is not appearing all the time, but in most cases it appear once the compressor starts. noting that AC connecting even when i am turning it off!! and today my car stall on the round-about and i think its risky to use the vehicle anymore

Just additional thing, at idle speed the RPM goes to almost 0 and then either goes again up or the car stall.

Wow. Just remember for future reference that obd codes just tell you what systems are affected and usually not what's broken. For instance, not saying that this is exactly the case for your vehicle, but a broken vacuum line could throw a code for any of the aforementioned parts you changed.

In your case you probably complicated the matter by switching parts. So the new parts are either functioning properly and compounding the problem because they're reading more accurate than the old sensors; Or they're not installed properly and are adding to the problem.

First thing I'd start with is testing the parts you installed to make sure they are functioning properly. For the EGR you can easily test that with a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running spray a little bit into the EGR. If the idle jumps up then it's either installed incorrectly or your new part is defective. If nothing happens to the idle it should be working correctly.

For the MAF and O2 sensors youre going to need a multimeter to check the voltage readings to see if they match vehicle specifications.

Once youve checked that those things are working properly, I'd start with the intake tube. Remove it ensure that there are no breaks/cracks in the tube. You'd be surprised at how many idle problems are caused by well hidden cracks on the intake tube.

Then, with the intake tube remove inspect the movement of the throttle valve. Make sure it moves freely and doesn't stick from carbon build up.

Once that's done, I'd probably start checking the condition of my vacuum lines. Don't only look for breaks but colapsing lines. I've found a/c vacuum lines that colapse closed when on under load. If you can't find any bad lines then, with the engine running, you can start spraying carb cleaner around suspected vacuum leak areas.

This is a long write up. So I'll save the rest once you've checked or hopefully someone has some better insight into your exact issue.

Wow. Just remember for future reference that obd codes just tell you what systems are affected and usually not what's broken. For instance, not saying that this is exactly the case for your vehicle, but a broken vacuum line could throw a code for any of the aforementioned parts you changed.

In your case you probably complicated the matter by switching parts. So the new parts are either functioning properly and compounding the problem because they're reading more accurate than the old sensors; Or they're not installed properly and are adding to the problem.

First thing I'd start with is testing the parts you installed to make sure they are functioning properly. For the EGR you can easily test that with a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running spray a little bit into the EGR. If the idle jumps up then it's either installed incorrectly or your new part is defective. If nothing happens to the idle it should be working correctly.

For the MAF and O2 sensors youre going to need a multimeter to check the voltage readings to see if they match vehicle specifications.

Once youve checked that those things are working properly, I'd start with the intake tube. Remove it ensure that there are no breaks/cracks in the tube. You'd be surprised at how many idle problems are caused by well hidden cracks on the intake tube.

Then, with the intake tube remove inspect the movement of the throttle valve. Make sure it moves freely and doesn't stick from carbon build up.

Once that's done, I'd probably start checking the condition of my vacuum lines. Don't only look for breaks but colapsing lines. I've found a/c vacuum lines that colapse closed when on under load. If you can't find any bad lines then, with the engine running, you can start spraying carb cleaner around suspected vacuum leak areas.

This is a long write up. So I'll save the rest once you've checked or hopefully someone has some better insight into your exact issue.

i APPRECIATE YOUR KIND REPLY.
Let me make sure that i understood you correctly:.
-Regarding to EGR valve, do you mean to remove the pipe connected to it and to spray the carbon cleaner inside the valve intake?

I would like to add one thing, and very sorry for not being too clear from the beginning: one of the technicians disconnected the EGR for me and i noticed the car stopped stalling and the car torque was strong when i was reducing the speed (just like some one is pushing the car from behind).

I'll do all what you advised and will let you know.

Thank you very much.

KR,
Mohammad

Back