Solved - Explorer 1994 XLT 4.0 OHV 4x4 Argentina - No Spark, fuel pressure or signals from the PCM. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Explorer 1994 XLT 4.0 OHV 4x4 Argentina - No Spark, fuel pressure or signals from the PCM.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Favio Rescia

Reaction score
City, State
Buenos Aires
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 1995
Hi All!
My name is Favio Rescia. I live in Argentina and this is my first time within the forum. I am the owner of a 1994 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV 4x4, with more than 450000 km (close to 280000 miles) run. Now I am suffering a problem never had before that I would like to explain to receve suggestions of the actions to take. Running normally the truck in the city, when I reached a corner and had to slw down, the engine stopped. I started it again and for one hour nothing more happened. I parked and when I run it again, I did two blocks, sow down in a corner again and the engine stopped. Started again and the same happened the next street. Then Intried again but since that moment the engine never cranked again. I made some checkings as follows: when starting no fuel pump priming noise, no fuel pressure, no sparks. No fuses burn but no power getting into the relays that control fuel pump or the PCM neither. So I guess this is the reason why I cannot get sparks or the fuel pump work. I wonder if it could be the power feed to the PCM or the module itself. What do you suggest? If the module is not damaged, why could appear a lack of power to feed it? A ground problem? But where? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Your profile says 1995 Explorer but your first post says 1994 Explorer. Did you check the PCM relay, ground wiring going to the PCM & fuel pump, and the high current fuse block under the hood (not the fuse block under the dashboard)?

Welcome to this forum! Your profile says 1995 Explorer but your first post says 1994 Explorer. Did you check the PCM relay, ground wiring going to the PCM & fuel pump, and the high current fuse block under the hood (not the fuse block under the dashboard)?
Hi! My Explorer was registered in Argentina in 1995 but manufactured in USA by 1994. That's the reason of the lack of consistancy... For me in the past, to find spare parts was always better to consider 1994 as the proper year, here the reason because I explained my problem regarding a '94 truck. Given that, I didnt check the grounds you quoted (yes the other parts and they are in order!). I will do it and report! Thanks a lot !!

My 1988 Aerostar van had a similar issue twice. The check engine light & fuel pump didn't turn on. One time is was because of a burned out fusible link (they didn't use high current fuses in those years). The other time was because the PCM & fuel pump's ground wire near the battery broke. A schematic of the circuit with color codes will be useful when troubleshooting this issue. There's an inertia switch which cuts the power to the fuel pump if it trips, but this won't affect the PCM.

My 1988 Aerostar van had a similar issue twice. The check engine light & fuel pump didn't turn on. One time is was because of a burned out fusible link (they didn't use high current fuses in those years). The other time was because the PCM & fuel pump's ground wire near the battery broke. A schematic of the circuit with color codes will be useful when troubleshooting this issue. There's an inertia switch which cuts the power to the fuel pump if it trips, but this won't affect the PCM.
Hi! Thanks for the explanation. In my case when trying to start the engine the check engine light didnt turn on neither . I considered this as a clue - may be - of no actions coming out from the PCM (this because the module has no power or it is damaged so no signals outcoming). I also forget to tell to Forum that I had already checked the inertia switch and was ok. So, from your comment, grounds again are one important issue to check. Thanks a lot! I will report after checking grounds!

Hi All Again! Finally I got the problem. Nothing to do with grounds. It was due an old anti-theft system installed by the former owner by 1995. That system also controlled the electrical doors opening. I remember that by about 2002, the system started to fail so I turned it off (by a switch located in a sort of claxon it had) plus the removal of a couple of fuses inboard the anti-theft system body. For more that 15 years nothing happened but it seems that some sort of damage has occured inside this controller that made it block all the signals going to the PCM. It is clear that despite all my intentions to switch it off, the anti-theft system has been still "alive" in some way all those last years. We removed all, put the cables as original and fortunatelly all come back again. Thanks a lot for your attention!

Glad it was that simple (or relatively so) and appreciate your coming back and letting us know what you found. Thank you.

Back