Explorer 1998 5r55e tranny problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 1998 5r55e tranny problem

snatityson

Reaction score
City, State
Sandgerdi
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer ´98 XLT
Hi hi
I have a Explorer 1998 with 5r55e tranny. The problem is that the O/D light starts flashing and the tranny starts to shifts hard from 1to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 but do not shifts to 5th gear. The R works fine. But if I disconnect the battery for sort time and connect it again (reset the computer) the tranny works fine for few days but then starts again with the same problem. I did take the car to Ford workshop to read from the computer in the car. I did not see it but they told me it was somthing in the "clutch converter"???? I hope some one can help me here and if some one here can tell me where I can find a electrical drawings for the solenoid valves so I can measure the resistance in them with out open the tranny.

Best regards Helgi from Iceland

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a lot of information in the stickies at the beginning of this forum. Reading them would give you a better understanding of the 5R55E. Back to your problem, it sounds like the same one i am having. The code they read was probably P0741, which relates to the torque converter lock up clutch. There are a lot of different things that can cause it to slip as I am finding out tried all the valve bodies fixes none worked so I pulled the trans, replacing the torque convert seals on the pump and the torque converter.

Sorry, I got interupted and forgot some of what i was going to say. The PCM (computer) uses the OD light as an indicator for a transmission problem. When is sees a problem it flashes the OD light this can mean many different things wrong in the trans, doesn't always mean no overdrive, I would suspect that yours is still working also, just the Torque converter isn't working, but several things can cause it to not work right including within it which is serviced as a unit. When the computer flashes the OD light it puts the trans in limp mode which raises pressures and causes harsh shifting. The purpose of this is to let it be driven to be repaired.

HI and thank for your reply.
I have been reading a lot here and here is many stories about trobule in 5r55e tranny. But why does the tranny work fine after I disconnect the battery ??? If there is some oile leaks in the tranny the O/D light should strart flashing soon as I start driven the car?? or what?? For me it is more like a elctrical problem or stiff solenoid valve???
Best regards

You need to know what the actual trans trouble code was or is. Disconnecting the battery resets the computer, everything will work ok till the computer sees the problem again. It will then flash the OD light and place the trans in limp mode. Just turning the key off and then restarting will also reset some computers, but it doesn't fix the problem.

your transmission is running in limp mode which means the computer is receiving some readings from the sensors that it does not understand. limp mode is meant to get you home, it stops adjusting shifts with the sensor readings and just uses a table of default settings. As part of doing this the computer will boost EPC pressure to help stop slipping problems and shifting problems. The hard shifts are a result of the increased EPC pressure in your transmission. In order to continue troubleshooting the problem you need to get your codes read to find out what your computer sees as a problem.

as poprichie77 said all your doing is resetting the computer when you disconnect the battery. It will shift normally until it detects the problem again which will again throw the computer into limp mode.

Thank you guys :)
I think I just wait until the O/D light starts flashing again an go again to workshop to read the computer. It is good and thank again to now about the limp mode that explain alot. I am an engineer and work as a maintenance manager in plastic fatory here in Iceland. I now alot abot maintenance but as never open a automatic tranny. After reading alot of post here on explorerforum about problem in 5r55e tranny it seems like the hardest is to find the real problem. Many people here have to pay alot for repair but sometime the problem in the tranny is still there after repair.:(
But hopefully I will have luck with me in this and God bless you guys......:)

best of luck, all i can say is avoid driving it until its fixed as much as possible. i let mine blink for about 2 months and what started out as the same as yours (torque converter clutch solinoid) ended up being an entire transmission overhaul because it threw off gear ratios, shredded metal inside everywhere, snapped servo bands and a lot more, went from maybe a $100 valve body replacement to a $1900 trans overhaul...goodbye last two paychecks i got of summer...
best of luck to you this is the place to come, knowledge is topnotch here

good luck with the problem, keep us posted when you find out the codes.

Change the trans fluid and filter if it has never been done. This may keep you going for quite a lot of miles. I say this because it is working ok, no flashing light, after the computer reset.

Need help wiring harness manual transmission harness oo Xplorer SPORT..

:roll:See a trani related thread.. can I get suggestions pls...

I have a FORD EXPLORER SPORT 2000, RWD, 5sp MANUAL transmission, V6, 4.0L - VIN # 1FMYU60X1YUA50381
I need the transmission harness, also known as Wir. Asy. Eng. Control or Eng Control Wire, Part # YL2Z12A581DB ..
The truck has the wrong set now.
I need it for a 5sp. MANUAL transmission not AUTO. Not the same
I believe it can also be on 2001 SPORT model, manual trani.
Have several versions from FORD dealers.. as to what fits or not, some are 2000 ONLY... some others 2000 and 2001 ONLY.. other's, trani from 98 to 2004.. are the same and on and on and on... funny is it not...
Bottom line, the part number is correct.
Can a 99 0r 01 or 02 be modified? Does anybody have an answer for?
I would appreciate any help from either you or any of your colleagues.
Thank you much.
Have a great day.
Alan A .. in search of a transmission harness..!!!

There is a lot of information in the stickies at the beginning of this forum. Reading them would give you a better understanding of the 5R55E. Back to your problem, it sounds like the same one i am having. The code they read was probably P0741, which relates to the torque converter lock up clutch. There are a lot of different things that can cause it to slip as I am finding out tried all the valve bodies fixes none worked so I pulled the trans, replacing the torque convert seals on the pump and the torque converter.

Sorry can't help much with this, modifying a harness is possible but the problem is in getting the right plug ends. Also depends on your expertise with electronics and you need the correct wiring schematic. Best advice is go to junk yards or recycle yards. You can find them in the yellow pages or on the internet, call them, if far away get it shipped.
You should have started a new thread not many people will see your problem.

Siralan,
I would suggest starting a new thread in the transmission section more people will see your question there.

Back