Explorer 2000 wiring up new radio - Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2000 wiring up new radio - Help

rob118

Reaction score
City, State
queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
I am wiring in a new radio to my 2000 explorer but I cannot get the speakers working. I have the wiring harness adapters which plug straight into the factory harness, powers up ok but do not know which wires go where for the sound, any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 xlt explorer radio wiring problems

yes I found one of the diagrams that has the same color coding as my connectors, (I have two connectors one 8 pin for the power and one 16 pin for the speakers etc) I wired up the plug the same as the diagram but still no sound, checked the unit with an external speaker, OK. There is an AUdio on wire but I am relunctant to put 12v on it. there is an audio mute on the power plug, does that need to be shorted ?????

I have a stock standard radio tape deck with two connectors on the the back, i have two male connector that plug into them, there is also the rear seat controls. it must be something simple surely......Any ideas????????

stock connectors

According to my 2000 wiring diagrams there are two 16 pin connectors associated with the radio: C256 connects to the radio; and C2003 connects to the rear integrated control panel (RICP). The RICP only affects the rear speakers. I assume there is no output on the front speakers. There is no audio mute or audio enable on C256 so these signals are unique to your after market radio. You will have to read the documentation on your radio to determine the signal requirement (+ or Gnd).

For the Mach radio there is a stock 8 pin connector (C215) associated with the subwoofer. Pin 4 (DG/VT) is the radio subwoofer high audio that connects to the subwoofer amplifier.

Radio wiring problem

HI all......found it... 12v needed to go to the blue wire in the power adaptor. Thanks for the help.

Back