How to: - Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Ironically, I am possibly getting a 2013 PIU and will be converting to civilian.
If u can't find all the parts u need for your 3rd row addition, I have a black cloth manual 3rd row seat with headrests, all brackets, both seatbelts , all fasteners, wheel well carpet and hatch sill trim panel
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$8500 asking price with 100k

I found some cheaper but same miles and every single body panel drilled/trashed. I gave up on my PIU search and got an XLT with minimal chrome to black out. Base are hard to find as nobody wants em so XLT is pretty much base. Used base are more than the PIUs with center console mark up premium. I also had a lease I was getting out of so 99.99999% of any dealer with a PIU is not taking trades.

Ironically, I am possibly getting a 2013 PIU and will be converting to civilian.

I just subscribed for the Elite membership so I can post pics of my 18 XLT and customization I've done, and list 3rd row parts fro sale. If you buy that PIU I have everything you need to add the 3rd row. I'm in Arlington Hts Il., all the parts are in perfect condition.

I just subscribed for the Elite membership so I can post pics of my 18 XLT and customization I've done, and list 3rd row parts fro sale. If you buy that PIU I have everything you need to add the 3rd row. I'm in Arlington Hts Il., all the parts are in perfect condition.
Why not post it as well in our "For Sale" thread? 5th Gen Explorers & Parts For Sale

Peter

Haven't been on this thread and forum for a while, but it's unfortunate that the picture hosting service no longer is cooperating. Lots of good info for sure, but it seems that many forums nowadays allow pictures to be posted directly, but not so here.

Haven't been on this thread and forum for a while, but it's unfortunate that the picture hosting service no longer is cooperating. Lots of good info for sure, but it seems that many forums nowadays allow pictures to be posted directly, but not so here.
There has been no change that I'm aware of to the picture posting process. You can post directly from your device if you have the Elite Explorer membership ($20). That will also help support the forum. Member fees helped with the cost of this latest update.

Peter

There has been no change that I'm aware of to the picture posting process. You can post directly from your device if you have the Elite Explorer membership ($20). That will also help support the forum. Member fees helped with the cost of this latest update.

Peter
I agree with Peter, I am a new elite member ($20) and had no issue what so ever posting pics immediately after making the payment on paypal

I agree with Peter, I am a new elite member ($20) and had no issue what so ever posting pics immediately after making the payment on paypal
Just to avoid confusion among those that don't seem to understand how the internet and forums work, there is no need to become a member to post pics. The membership merely provides you with a picture hosting service, of which there are free options on the internet (some good and some not so good).

Anyone that is not a paying member can still post pics quickly and easily from any device they are using to access the internet (phone/tablet/computer). If one doesn't understand the process, simply google "how do I post a photo to an online forum" or something along those lines. It is a simple/basic life skill that could come in handy if one needs to ask for help online...

Just to avoid confusion among those that don't seem to understand how the internet and forums work, there is no need to become a member to post pics. The membership merely provides you with a picture hosting service, of which there are free options on the internet (some good and some not so good)..........................................
It is correct that you do not require a 'Membership to post pictures. However, there two important factors to keep in mind. With a membership, you just click on the "Attach files" button and upload your photos and unlike using 3rd party hosting sites, the pictures are saved on the Forum's servers so they won't disappear like so many have on this site. Frustrating! Also, the membership fee helps to support this forum so that everyone can benefit from it whether they pay or not.

Peter

It is correct that you do not require a 'Membership to post pictures. However, there two important factors to keep in mind. With a membership, you just click on the "Attach files" button and upload your photos and unlike using 3rd party hosting sites, the pictures are saved on the Forum's servers so they won't disappear like so many have on this site. Frustrating! Also, the membership fee helps to support this forum so that everyone can benefit from it whether they pay or not.

Peter

I swore I tried that when I last had the membership but still had to use the hosting site. Maybe I’ll try again this week so I can get the pics back up. Since I’m pulling all the parts out of my ‘14 and upgrading to a ‘20 ST, it will be good to review the removal and install.

Anyone in Mpls that wants to sell me that 3rd row of seats? 😁. Gmai1 me at rashaunny

Anyone in Mpls that wants to sell me that 3rd row of seats? 😁. Gmai1 me at ras

EDIT (03/20): In the process of re-re-uploading photos thanks to TinyURL going under. Since there is apparently a 10-image limit, the original post will have to be broken up in to three parts to accommodate the original 30 photos.

At the moment, the 2nd & 3rd posts are on the second page of this thread since I had to create them to add the pictures. They may not be able to get put back in sequence since there were other replies after the original thread was created, but at least all the pictures are back!

Part 1
- - - - -

There is a thread here from a while back that shows the removal of the 3rd row, but I wanted to expand on that and include the install of the "Police Package" (and fleet vehicle?) parts to convert the rear cargo area to a "trunk". With the new floor, this adds a bunch of extra storage underneath, which is a real bonus. If your vehicle has the manual fold 3rd row (like my '14 Sport), this is easy, and in my book, necessary. I can't comment on how much additional work would be involved if you have the power-fold seats, but I'm guessing it just entails removing some extra wiring.

The other thread shows the removal of the interior panels and third row, as well as the installation of the cross-brace that is a substitute for the seats and required for the rear crash rating of the vehicle (the brace is originally sourced from the Lincoln MKT):

Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace (<------Link)

Without re-hashing that too much, I knew I wanted to remove the heavy third row so I could add the storage space while still having the ability to haul things on a flat load floor. The downside to this is the cost of the parts: everything new from Ford (Levittown, Tousley, & Tasca will have the best prices) is going to be almost $1,200 - plus shipping. Fortunately, I found a relatively new Police Utility that got wrecked and bought most of the parts for less than half.

Parts list (with Tasca prices) - current as of 4/18:

Cross brace: DB5Z-7810780-A ($204)
Support, front: DB5Z-78310B17-A ($190)
Support, L: DB5Z-78310B16-B ($85)
Support, R: DB5Z-78310B16-A ($85)
Floor panel, front: DB5Z-7813046-BA ($287)
Floor panel, rear: DB5Z-7813046-CA ($317)
Bolts, front panel (2): W710150-S436 ($5 ea)
Access cover, L: DB5Z-78312A29-BA ($7)
Access cover, R: DB5Z-78312A28-BA ($6)

For starters, here is my freshly painted brace (they are bare and will rust, so paint or powder-coating is recommended):

View attachment 179325

The side supports (all of which are made from styrofoam):

View attachment 179326

The front support, which tucks in behind the second row seats and allows the front floor panel to bolt on to it (it had a slight notch cut out of it from the original PD for whatever reason, but it's hidden and not noticable when the panels are over it):

View attachment 179327

Anyway, removing the seats starts with unbolting the forward brackets/hinges that support the front floor panels when the seats are stowed. The panels are easy to lift up exposing the four 13mm nuts and the brackets themselves. Also removed are the two "U" supports that lock the seat in the upright position (shown on each side). The four bolts that hold them in (under that section of carpet) have a 10mm hex, and one of the holes is re-used for the long bolts that will hold the new forward floor panel in place.

View attachment 179328

You'll also need to unbolt the forward seat belt brace that is under those access covers where the main bolts are. This is the right side as an example:

View attachment 179329

Here is the Ford diagram that shows where the seat belt assembly (right side as well) bolts in at both ends of the seat "hinge":

View attachment 179330

Once that is done, the interior panels need to be popped out and leaned inward so the four large bolts can be removed that hold the seat assembly (15mm hex). That thread listed at the top covers the removal of all the interior trim, but it's pretty simple. The rear seat weighs close to 100#, so I was glad to haul it out. Kind of a drag pulling parts off a new Explorer with just 2,000 miles, but it was for a good cause.

I also took out the rear seat belt mechanisms which required removal of the upper trim panels in each corner (one small bolt each plus the normal clips). There are four T-50 Torx bolts that have to come out (two each side), and for the right side, the subwoofer also needs to be taken out temporarily to access the lower Torx bolt.

Here is the left side with the mechanism removed and the lower Torx bolt threaded back in so it wont' get lost:

View attachment 179331

Similar for the right, except the subwoofer is back in place (three 10mm hex bolts and one electrical connector -real easy):

View attachment 179332

Once that stuff was out, I used some spray adhesive with some black trunk-liner material to cover the holes in the trim panel that would be left from the rear seat belts. The black liner was scored at a local car audio shop, but there are probably plenty of options with other colors as well. With the police version, the slots are just left open, but I wanted them covered. This is the view from the back:

View attachment 179333

One of the panels back in place showing how the seat belt slot is now filled:

View attachment 179334

Cont. (<---- Hyperlink to Part 2 on next page)
Thank you for this great, detailed thread! If I were going to build a plywood deck, I could skip the 2 floor panels, right?
Floor panel, front: DB5Z-7813046-BA ($287)
Floor panel, rear: DB5Z-7813046-CA ($317)
I looked at the Havis option, and I like it, but a carpeted, plywood deck would be much more useful to me, and I could build storage onto it without an issue.

And, "history repeats itself"!

As I had done earlier on my past XLT, I also just finished doing the same 3rd Row Seat Delete conversion on my latest Explorer (a 2018 Sport), and am extremely happy with how it turned out!

Taking out that heavy 3rd row seat (about 100 lbs or more), versus then adding the new crossbar, plus a full-size police wheel and tire, and I would guess that it's kind of a wash when it comes to reducing the weight. But, having those useless-to-me seats and seat belts now gone, are definitely the way I wanted to go again!

Just curious if you restored the previous XLT back to original?

Peter

Just curious if you restored the previous XLT back to original?

Peter
Hi Peter,

Nope, I actually traded it in last year for this Sport version; however, the dealership then sold it to another customer who (I was later told) LOVED the work that I had done on it, as he didn't care about having a 3rd row seat either!

Hi Peter,

Nope, I actually traded it in last year for this Sport version; however, the dealership then sold it to another customer who (I was later told) LOVED the work that I had done on it, as he didn't care about having a 3rd row seat either!
Honestly I wonder why you didn't just buy the police cruiser in the first place. It's more than $10k less, more like $15k currently than comparable used Explorer models same engine and odo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly I wonder why you didn't just buy the police cruiser in the first place. It's more than $10k less, more like $15k currently than comparable used Explorer models same engine and odo.
While my first Explorer (XLT) was a fairly basic model, it was my very first one, and I bought it new... and they all came with the 3rd row seat, which I really didn't care for. However, I was really missing some of the high-end options that my 2015 Edge had had (power everything, heated and cooled seats, leather upholstery, blah, blah, blah) that, when a friend told me about this gorgeous, fully-equipped Sport version he had just seen on a dealer's lot, I just had to go check it out. Once it got on my driveway, it, too, lost it's 3rd row seat, but I can now enjoy the turbocharged engine power, plus the 4wd, plus a factory tow package, plus the dealer warranty that came with it.

To buy some department's driven-hard, low or no options, high-mileage vehicle was not something I was interested in doing, at either time. I just will never have a need for a 3rd row seat, and I'm at least grateful that, by using the parts that the PIU comes with, I'm able to drop that seat option in a clean and useful manner...

Back