explorer 4.0 2003 issues

michelfloride

Reaction score
City, State
clermont fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
sport trac 2003
Hi, I need help prior to becoming totally nuts......:fire:

bought the car 1 weeks a go, ran fine, 135 000 on odom.

after about 300 milles , suddenly (in 1mn) lost power, clicking noise when trying to accelarate, stalled at low rpm, bad smell ( like exhaust smell but more stinky)

let it cool down, start perfect, runs almost perfect until hot......same problem after 3 milles, stalled, started, run aproximately fine on idle when on P (transmission) rough on D.
check engine light on ( was on when i bought it, forgot the code but related to exhaust problem, missfire, sensor, etc.......)

erased codes.......like an idiot

checked and cleaned EGR valve and let it run on idle to heat, after 10mn oil pan seal explosed and oil leaked all on the drive way......!!!!!

replaced oil pan seal, new oil........replaced PCV valve, same issues ( engine problems, not oil leak) after 3 miles from cold
replaced the 3 O2sensor, drove for 3 miles, fine as long cold , same issue after 3 miles
replaced MAF and BDPR sensor......same issues, start and run fine as long temperature is down.
Replaced 4 catalytic converter........same issues, fine cold , bad when hot

checked ( aproximately) for a vacuum leak not sure I checked every where.

ST FTRM1 -2.5 LT FTRM +10.5
ST FTRM2 0.0 LT FTRM -8.5 ( after reset PCM on idle)

ST FTRM1 5.5 LT FTRM 4.5
ST FTRM2 -6.0 LT FTRM -3.9 (at 2500 rpm)

Any thoughts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DTC's ?

^ Ditto scanning for DTC's again. PCV elbow checked?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670

Sorry I am not aware about technical terms, what means DTC?

I have no more check engine lights on in despite of the all the malfunctions.

I just found something out by checking the vacuum, for sure not normal but I don't know if it could be related to the main problem

There is a hose coming out from the AC line ( not sure about AC, but it is coupled by a T on a bigger hose which goes into the car, passenger side under dashboard and comes back)
This hose turn around the PCV valve ( heater?) and is connected into the air intake.
I disconnected it from the air intake and blew in......could hear bubbling noise and saw little bit water and air coming out from behind the water pump, around wath I think are two temperature sensors( two electrical plugs screwed in the black plastic element)
A lot of dry rust stain around there.
I will try to post a picture

Thank you for your help

Tried to insert picture, don't know how

Unlikely your coolant leak is from the ECT sensor or gauge sensor. You are probably another victim of a 4.0 SOHC lower thermostat housing splitting it's seams. Inspect closely with a small mirror and flashlight, or better yet, rent a coolant pressure test kit from most larger auto parts stores with a fully refundable deposit. Difficult to diagnose your other engine issues without trouble codes, maybe someone with leads will chime in. Good luck.

How To Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Unlikely your coolant leak is from the ECT sensor or gauge sensor. You are probably another victim of a 4.0 SOHC lower thermostat housing splitting it's seams. Inspect closely with a small mirror and flashlight, or better yet, rent a coolant pressure test kit from most larger auto parts stores with a fully refundable deposit. Difficult to diagnose your other engine issues without trouble codes, maybe someone with leads will chime in. Good luck.

How To Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Hi again,
Ok I definitively think I have to replace the therm. housing, but this will not fix the main problem

Today I replaced the EGR valve in addition of:
Maf sensor
three O2 sensor
Four cats
PCV valve
DPF sensor

Ran the car, started well without gas pedal, run smooth and fine during 10mn

When max. hot, runs approximmately fine by higher rpm. May be a litlle loss of power, not sure about it
By low RPM ( i.e slow turn or U turn ) becomes unstable, when accelerating hesitate and loud clicking noise, (like bad valve noise) oil gauge jump from midle to high, stall only with gear engaged, if I disengaged gear idle becomes stable.

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, NO ERROR CODE !!!

Back