Explorer 4.0 engine noise lifters or timing chain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 4.0 engine noise lifters or timing chain

danofoak

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Louis Misspuri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
. Hey guys, my 2005 Explorer 4.0 started making this noise shortly after I changed my oil. It had previously made a lifter noise , but only on startup.oddlywrnt pretty much away after oil change, the car couple days later started making this noise. Oil was full synthetic 5 w 30.

Sounds very similar to the mystery noise I had. Try holding a piece of rubber hose or mechanics stethoscope to your ear and touching the rear of the passenger valve cover and front of the driver side valve cover where the plastic timing chain guides are. My rattle was coming from the rear of the passenger valve cover so I removed it and found the rear guide intact. Took a chance and drained one quart of oil and added one 32 ounce bottle of unconcentrated Rislone engine treatment. After 5 minutes of idling the rattle was gone. Got very lucky.

Wow. Well I would feel very lucky if I did that also. Might try it because it couldn't hurt. If I do have damage it is already there anyway .

Mine is making the exact same noise after getting my transmission replaced. What ended up being the problem?

Back