Explorer 4.6 l Power Steering Pulley Won't Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 4.6 l Power Steering Pulley Won't Install

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but how do you keep the power steering pulley from rotating while pressing it back on?

The threaded rod goes into the pump shaft the same direction you tighten the tool. Which just backs the bolt back out.

I've used a strap tool for most of it, but it's now starting to slip.

It's just about 1/2 inch from being fully seated.
I used an old serp belt, flipped inside out. I put it around the long stud sticking out just above it. The with it doubled and groves facing the ps pulley, I went under the pulley, then looped over the idler and around the alt pulley.
This kept the ps pulley from spinning, but it got to this point and won't budge.

As I suspected, I was just missing something.
The threads in the pump shaft were all rusted.
So with a little PB Blaster and an 8x1.25 tap, I chased the threads.
I also ditched the ps install tool.
Just using some washers, nuts and an all thread 8x1.25 stud.

The original tool backed out because it wasn't fully threaded into the pump.
So as it should be, just thread the bolt into the ps pump snout, then tighten nuts on bolt against pulley while holding stud from rotating.
Also, for a bit, I spun the pulley to make sure it was rotating true, if it wasn't, then I tapped on the "high" end with a rubber mallet to align it.
Then tightened the nuts a couple more times.
Repeated this process until the pulley was going on straight.

I'm back. I'll make this a long thread I suppose...:D

So, apparently, the removal tools threads scored the inside of the pulley. Which is why it stopped at a point.

So, new pulley tomorrow. Praying that it all goes back together so I can move on.

Back