• Register Today It's free!

explorer 4x4 problems

machoiliescu2003

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
hi to everyone!!i m new on this forum...so ...don t judge to bad for mistakes!!>>>lol>>>!!! i have an ford explorer 1996 4 doors .the 4x4 doesn t work anymoore!! i can hear a <<clung>> noisse undernath the light goes on for either 4x4 auto or 4x4 low,but the front wheels wont engage!! i can see the front shaft it is conected to the front wheels but doesn t conect,,engage,, in to the transfer case.please share whit me from your knowleadge,what could be wrong??!! thank you guys!! RO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off welcome. Second you have this question in the wrong place. Maybe a mod can move it for you so you can maybe get an answer.

Indeed, a moderator should be here shortly to move it to the correct forum.

For the problem, first we need to see what's going on... you'll need to jack all four wheels up and place the vehicle on jack stands. Then, put it in drive and shift to 4auto. You should see the front driveshaft begin to turn. Odds are the center-axle disconnect on the front axle is failing to engage when you shift to 4auto. This can be caused by a bad vacuum solenoid, broken vacuum lines, a bad vacuum motor on the axle, or a sticking actuator on the center axle disconnect.

I'd be surprised if it was a transfer case issue, but you won't know until you troubleshoot it further. Good luck!

A quick question, why is machoillescu's post in the wrong forum (I ask because I was about to post here about my '98 Explorer problem). The forum IS Stock 95-01 Explorer, right?

I'll hold off until I hear back

Yes it is in the correct year, but it belongs in the transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials forum a little further down. :) I'm sure a moderator will be along shortly to make the adjustment. :)

-Joe

Ok, got it...now I wonder if posted my issue in the right place?

Back