Explorer 4x4 system not very torquey? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 4x4 system not very torquey?

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Hello,

New guy here....I've been on the market trying to pick up a sec gen 4x Explorer V6 ...I test drove two...now granted they did have tranny issues (a bunch of lying people out there claiming they were fine) but even when the transfer case/tranny engaged in 4 LOW it seemed pretty WEAK..... didn't lunge forward with any kind of torque/force...I then talked to another seller (third seller) and he said his doesn't really "grab" noticeably..

I had a Chevy Blazer 4.3 v6 and in 4-low that thing would JERK you back into the seat with even MODERATE gas on the pedal...

Is the Ford system just overall anemic.??....being that the seller with the good / legit running one stated basically that it was nothing impressive ....?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've put daylight under the front tires in a 4.0 ohv in low range. You either weren't in low or the trucks really had issues.

The 4.3 in the Blazer is a bit of a beast. Much more powerful than you expect by being just .3 ltr bigger than the Explorer.
Also, axle gearing can make a difference. Many Exs came with mpg friendly gears, which will affect the low range torqueyness.

I have 4.10s and low is quite torquey. Maybe getting close to the "daylight" mentioned above. Gears are everything(as low as you can go!). This is where a trac-lok can help out, as I recently installed the cobra trac lok. Tested it on some snowy hills and I was very impressed. Would be great for a boat launch.

I rented a blazer long ago and it was definitely more powerful in low. Expectations, YMMV.

Thanks so far for input....
Would you guys say when you put it in 4-low and somewhat gas it and let off you experience a strong pull / bucking / jerking pull .....or would you describe it as mild? (4.0 ohv or sohc engine - stock gearing 3.73's or close)

Going to see if I can find one at dealership in good shape and test out...

Maybe it's not going into lo, it's a common problem with the push button tcase...

Thanks guys!

I'm going to go ahead and disregard what the one seller said over the phone....for all I know he was in 4-hi....he wasn't an "off roader" per se....so take his opinion with a grain of salt.
Might be checking out low mileage 5.0 tonight (because of price/ also decent reliability on 5.0) although I'm a die hard supporter of the rock solid reliability of the 4.0 ohv engine....

All I'm saying is in my first gen we were tearing down a mobile home with it snatching walls I had day light under my front tires and pulled the whole thing off of the foundation and I have 3.27 with 31s

5.0 AWD with the bwd 4406 awd to 4x4 conversion is the way to go if you want torque in 4 low..

I used to have a 2000 S10 with the 4.3 and it wasnt even close to the 5.0

Back