Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I have now fall victim to the aforementioned rattle (flutter, whatever). Mine is a 2012 Explorer LTD.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the sound, emanating from the right A pillar area presents itself in headwinds or strong crosswinds at speeds at and beyond 67 mph, or so. And, the sound is truly annoying and worrisome (at this early stage of ownership).

I've now accumulated 1950 miles of driving since taking delivery on 09/10/12, and I am among those who also experience frustrations with MFT; Freezing screens, lousy navigation (my six-year old Street Pilot 2820 is far more usable) and it often fails to recognize my iPod (even though the iPod shows the Ford logo on the iPod screen).

I had plans to publish a complete appraisal of my experience with my first American car since 1972 (Hondas, Acuras, Toyota's and BMW's otherwise) but I'm holding off long enough to have my local Ford dealer try and make good on my concerns.

Having said that, I was a little disappointed with the CU news. I've never considered CU a benchmark for evaluating automobile performance, but the magazine does have the broadest base from which to draw Explorer owners evaluations and opinions, and those owners opinions are what CU is reporting on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After 1700 miles since 9/30/11 when I got it I have the problem now with the passenger A Pillar. I will try taping it and see what happens.

Isn't the gasket attached to the a pillar cover? To replace the windshield, does the a-pillar cover get removed?

It looks like the A-pillar cover sits over the gasket, but they are two separate items.

Cory - No disrespect intended...
scottfmc,

I’m not a technician so I’m not familiar with the repair process. I have your Explorer’s details so let me know via PM if you’d like me to arrange another call from the Customer Service Manager in your region.

After 1700 miles since 9/30/11 when I got it I have the problem now with the passenger A Pillar. I will try taping it and see what happens.
I have now fall victim to the aforementioned rattle (flutter, whatever). Mine is a 2012 Explorer LTD...
Jackal01 & soloxx,

I’m happy to lend a hand by forwarding this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Took my X back in this morning for a-pillar rattle and wind whistle (among other things). Service manager just called and said that the Tech didn't want to replace passenger a-pillar under warranty because it looked broke and that there was a line running the length of it which must have been caused by something hitting it. I kindly explained that the line was left there from the electrical tape I have to use on the both sides and the top of my windshield to prevent it from rattling and whistling...

They also tried to blame the rattle problem on me using a car wash. Only problem there is that I wash it by hand.

On another note, I was told (as others have stated) that new MFT update is coming out first quarter next year. He also said that the reason for many of the problems is that the phones can process faster than MFT which causes confusion for the system and thus crashes.

Can anyone confirm an actual cause or fix for the wind whistle (not the a-pillar rattle)? Had my a-pillar replaced today. Service techs can still hear the whistle but have taped everything down around the windshield and still hear it.

The tech basically said they have no idea what to do now.

Windshield noise

Hi Cory,

Have had a noise as others mention on passenger side. Dealer wants me to bring in and test drive with some company they bring in to check for noises, leaks etc. I told them about these threads and there is an issue. They didn't want any part of that. Said my Explorer had a build date later than original problem. Anything you can do to help resolve vs having to go and spend time driving around to make happen when apparently there are issues with this.

Thanks

For those experiencing this noise,

I can lend a hand by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t done so already, please send a PM with your approximate mileage, VIN, contact information, and dealer name/state.

...Anything you can do to help resolve vs having to go and spend time driving around to make happen when apparently there are issues with this...
I’m happy to help, lak. Be sure to drop me a line via PM with the details I mentioned above.

Cory

Took my X back in this morning for a-pillar rattle and wind whistle (among other things)...
lucky711,

I’m happy to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. I already have your VIN from previous messages, so drop me a line with your contact information, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Got an email from the body shop manager. They are ordering me a new applique. He said Ford told them the removal of the applique would have to be replaced. Ford said they think the "molding was not seated".

I've asked if I should have the driver side done too, just in case.

Cory,

I sent a pm last night but did not htink it went through. Sent another this morning, sorry for send two. Provided the info you were looking for. Looking forward to heaing what can be done to resolve this matter.

Thanks,

Well folks, today was a good day.

After 47 days in the shop, the dealer did the right thing. They bought back our 2011 EX.

To Date, the wind noise and pillar rattle have never been resolved. New this week, the windows came off track and wouldn't roll up. That was pretty much the last straw. The issues with this car go well beyond the pillar rattles and wind noise.

Thanks to the fine folks here. We sure hope that your EX's provide years of service and happiness to you.

We picked up a 2011 Expedition. Today and the dealer went out of their way to make it right on the sales side. Cannot speak the same for the service side.

If anyone has questions, PM me.

Cheers

RR

that's good to hear that your dealer stepped up like that. i really wish ford will recall the plastic 'a' pillar and replace it with a metal pillar. i've only seen the picture of that one 'a' pillar that flew clean off the truck, and every day i'm on the freeway that pictures pops up in my mind. i've been meaning to go to the dealer for this but i can't seem to make it by there.

Cory,

I sent a pm last night but did not htink it went through. Sent another this morning, sorry for send two. Provided the info you were looking for. Looking forward to heaing what can be done to resolve this matter.

Thanks,
That’s no problem at all, lak. I can see that both made it through. There are a few messages in before yours, so I’ll reply as soon as I can. :)

Cory

Got an email from the body shop manager. They are ordering me a new applique. He said Ford told them the removal of the applique would have to be replaced. Ford said they think the "molding was not seated"...
Woolaroc,

I mentioned this in another thread, and in case you missed it I’ll post here: I see Austin will be calling you before the end of the day today.

Well folks, today was a good day.

After 47 days in the shop, the dealer did the right thing. They bought back our 2011 EX...Thanks to the fine folks here. We sure hope that your EX's provide years of service and happiness to you...We picked up a 2011 Expedition...
Rollingrock,

Thank you for your understanding and for your loyalty to Ford regardless of the issues with your Explorer. I’m glad the dealer was able to take care of you. I know your Expedition is going to be an excellent vehicle for you.

...i've been meaning to go to the dealer for this but i can't seem to make it by there.
bluelion,

I wanted to let you know that I received your PM. It’s behind a few other messages, so I’ll be sending a reply as soon as I can.

Cory

Well I'm at the dealership now, and of course the tech "can't replicate it". He going to go back out on the freeway and try a different speed.....

BTW folks

I have a set of WeatherTech's for front and second row if anyone wants them

They are practically brand new given we didn't have the car that long.

Send me a pm if interested. Black in color.

my update: service tech heard the 'a' pillar rattle and they had to order the parts, so now i'm waiting for the call saying the part is in and i can go get it fixed....

Cory, did you receive my info?

Cory,
Did you receive my PM with my information? We went to our dealer to get the A-pillar noise taken care of, and they had never heard of the problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can give to me.
Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the same problem Explorer 2011.
Dealer changed the outer cover of A-Pillar and everything is OK now.

Back