Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Haha yea I was typing really fast and didn't re read, but yes pretty sure the windshield wiper motor and arms will solve the problem, my sister said hers hasn't done it and that's been 2 months

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noise is gone now as a result of me snapping that cowl bracket in place. Cross our fingers it doesn't return.

As indicated in my PM to you, I have merged your thread with this existing one. This 'A' pillar issue was a frequent problem with the early 5th gen models but not so much lately. You will need a new trim piece and new plastic clips that hold it in place. I believe the clips were a late addition to the repair package.

Peter

When I open a thread, I go right to the last/most recent post. No need to go through the rest. If you click on the thread title, you will end up on page one.
I am sure that most members are like me and when a thread with multiple pages pops up, they click on the last page to see the most recent post which is the one that brought the thread back to the top. Unless Ford has changed the way they install the 'A' pillar, they were not glued on but held on by plastic clips.

Peter

After driving another 100 miles, yes I drive a lot, the noise has NOT returned. I am fairly confident the noise around the cowl area people are experiencing where the cowl sits too high away from the windshield can be fixed by making sure those V clips are pushed in all the way, less then a minute fix for both sides.

I am not an expert, just reporting what I am hearing from the Service tech and manager. The dealer has already replaced the cowl back in September, and the noise level has been the same post that fix. As noted in my earlier post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3344149&postcount=293 I took it in last Friday and they determined the noise is a result of the motor/windshield wiper/mount. I should have the Explorer back today, and will post the results as well as all the items were replaced by part number.

I have my fingers crossed that they will resolve the issue, as the noise is not pleasant and should not be occurring on a band new vehicle.

Had the same issue and isolated it down to the rubber cowling running along the bottom of the windshield. Noticed that it happened after my ex sat in the sun for awhile. I'm thinking it gets hot and becomes more flexable. I folded the leading edge underneith itself all the way across for about a week. After putting it back to its normal position, the problem went away.

Followed your suggestions and it has worked flawlessly. Thanks a million, I couldn't take that noise anymore and it started the day before we were to drive on our vacation. I had to register on this forum just to tell you thanks.

Followed your suggestions and it has worked flawlessly. Thanks a million, I couldn't take that noise anymore and it started the day before we were to drive on our vacation. I had to register on this forum just to tell you thanks.

Excellent. Glad I could help.

Bees in the dash/windshield wind noise

I have the 2015 sport and it has recently started making the bees sound in the passenger side dash/windshield area when reaching 65-75 mph. The windshield wipers do not affect the sound. It seems to do it much more in hot weather. I think because the rubber is softer.

Of course when I brought it into the dealer, they can't recreate the issue.

This is what it sounded like the first time we heard it. Since then it has come back a lot especially in hot weather. Of course the weather cooled off recently so the dealer can't recreate it.

Very annoying sound.

I have the 2015 sport and it has recently started making the bees sound in the passenger side dash/windshield area when reaching 65-75 mph. The windshield wipers do not affect the sound. It seems to do it much more in hot weather. I think because the rubber is softer...

Hi firefrog,

Thanks for the PM! I sent you a response, so check out your inbox for my message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I am not an expert, just reporting what I am hearing from the Service tech and manager. The dealer has already replaced the cowl back in September, and the noise level has been the same post that fix. As noted in my earlier post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3344149&postcount=293 I took it in last Friday and they determined the noise is a result of the motor/windshield wiper/mount. I should have the Explorer back today, and will post the results as well as all the items were replaced by part number.

I have my fingers crossed that they will resolve the issue, as the noise is not pleasant and should not be occurring on a band new vehicle.

I am going on 3 weeks since my last Dealer Service visit and we have not heard the vibration noises again. The Service department replaced the windshield wiper arm, motor and mount during the last visit and replaced the cowl on an earlier visit.

Problem appears to have been solved for us.

-Steve

I placed an 8" strip of black elec. tape on the pass side cowl to tape it to the black portion of the windshield. This has eliminated the buzzing sound for me.

This tells me the cowl is definitely the cause of the noise. I had previously removed the cowl and noticed that there is not much holding the cowl securely in place.

2012 Explorer XLT with the a-pillar issue

Ok, I just bought a 2012 Explorer XLT (built 10/2011). I've searched and read through posts regarding the a-pillar issue and seen the TSB. Mine has the noise on both sides, but worse on the passenger's side. Running tape along them gets rid of the noise, so I know for sure that's the problem. It's got 39,100 miles on it and not under warranty anymore. Instead of replacing the parts with new ones, has anyone done anything to the originals to take care of the noises? If so, what did you do? Thanks.

When we test drove the thing it was making the noise on the passenger's side, but my wife and I and the salesperson thought it was coming from the enormous price sticker that was on that side of the windshield possibly catching the wind. Didn't drive it again until after we bought it a couple days later at which point we then figured out it was NOT the giant sticker. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought it without it being fixed. The dealer won't do anything about it other than a normal service to pay and replace the parts.

Welcome toi the Forum MOExp.:wavey:
Since there was already a thread on this topic, I have merged yours with it.
Good luck and Happy New Year.

Peter

I have a 2015 Explorer that I just bought 2 months ago. Is this something that I need to keep an eye on, or has it been fixed since the first couple of years of Gen 5?

I believe that the 'A' pillar issue has for the most part been resolved in the later models. There seem to be more reports about the cowl making some noise than the pillars.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back