Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

hansenfarm

Thanks for the info Tricia at Ford Service.

Just went to the dealer once with the question of if they had run into the humming problem. Service Manager tried to be helpful and looked at the cowling but could see nothing obviously wrong and it was not acting up that day. He said no one else had complained about that problem at their dealership.

Will try to narrow it down and go from there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info Tricia at Ford Service.

Just went to the dealer once with the question of if they had run into the humming problem...
You’re very welcome, hansenfarm!

Let me know once you’ve selected a dealer, and don’t forget to PM the requested info at that time.

Have a great day! :)

Tricia

Service writer

Welcome to the forum, bhorak! When you were at the dealer, did you take the tech on a test drive? You may have a better chance of recreating it when you're on the road. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

Yes, he went for a 20 minute ride with me at freeway speeds, but there wasn't much wind that day and couldn't really recreate it. He also checked TSBs for my VIN.
I've got 2000 miles on my Ex. I will try to record it when it reoccurs.

My 2016 Sport has the hum between 60 and 70 mph from the same area by the windshield. Call Ford and file a complaint. Maybe we can get a recall if enough people call. Ford contact# 1800-392-3673

Have your vin# ready when you call.

My 2016 Sport has the hum between 60 and 70 mph from the same area by the windshield. Call Ford and file a complaint. Maybe we can get a recall if enough people call. Ford contact# 1800-392-3673
Recalls are only issued for safety related problems. A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is sometimes issued for problems like you describe. In fact there is at least one already.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3356848&postcount=306
and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3438239&postcount=312

Peter

I've got 2000 miles on my Ex. I will try to record it when it reoccurs.

My 2016 Sport has the hum between 60 and 70 mph from the same area by the windshield...

Hello Ford Fam,

I recommend that suggestion as well, bhorak. Try to video record the symptom while it’s happening.

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer, mileage, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

Actually the noise TSB was just updated on the 18th:

WHISTLE OR BUZZ-TYPE NOISE FROM FRONT COWL PANEL GRILLE
COVER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS
TSB 15-0143

FORD:
2011-2016 Explorer

This article supersedes TSBs 14-0029 and 15-0111 to update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2011-2016 Explorer vehicles may exhibit a whistle or buzz-type noise from the front cowl panel grille cover at
highway speeds. This may be caused by the seal for the front cowl panel grille cover not making full contact with the
windshield glass surface.

I've searched the forum and can't find the actual TSB 15-0143 to print out. I've also looked on line to try and find the actual TSB and can't seem to find it. I would like to print out a copy of TSB 15-0143. The cowl on my new 15 that I recently bought does not make contact with the windshield but I have no noise yet. I'd like to bring a copy to my dealer when I show them the spacing between my cowl and windshield. If anyone can list a link to the exact TSB I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I've searched the forum and can't find the actual TSB 15-0143 to print out. I've also looked on line to try and find the actual TSB and can't seem to find it. I would like to print out a copy of TSB 15-0143. The cowl on my new 15 that I recently bought does not make contact with the windshield but I have no noise yet. I'd like to bring a copy to my dealer when I show them the spacing between my cowl and windshield. If anyone can list a link to the exact TSB I would appreciate it. Thanks.

They dealer can bring it up by punching your VIN into OASIS or by giving them the number 15-0143. No need to print it out.

I am going to add to this as well:

When a vehicle owner comes in to complain about a specific issue one of the first things a service write or tech should be doing is going into OASIS, entering the VIN of the vehicle in question and doing a search of all TSB's, Recalls, SSM's etc to see if any of them match an owner's concern. I have a feeling this rarely gets done.

I've searched the forum and can't find the actual TSB 15-0143 to print out...
Scarpi,

I do not have access to TSBs but your dealer will be able to see which ones apply to your vehicle.

In the meantime, let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

If a fix for this issue becomes available can someone please post it. Maybe the fix will be simple enough that It doesn't have to go back to the dealer.
Thx.

If it was me, and the cowl isn't making any noise, I'd leave it well enough alone.

Peter

If a fix for this issue becomes available can someone please post it. Maybe the fix will be simple enough that It doesn't have to go back to the dealer.
Thx.

The cowl gets replaced and mounting locations are moved slightly. Sounds like a dealer visit to me and not DIY.

Thx Jason. Has anyone had this done?

Thx Jason. Has anyone had this done?

There are several posts in this thread where members have had the issue fixed by the dealer.

Peter

Scarpi,

I do not have access to TSBs but your dealer will be able to see which ones apply to your vehicle.

In the meantime, let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

Thanks Tricia, but I don't have any noise coming from my cowl. It just is not flat on the bottom of the windshield like it should be. I have not brought it in to my dealer yet about this. I will mention it to them when I bring it in for an oil change and see what they say. I'm sure they will take care of the problem if it is an issue. Right now I'm just keeping an eye on it as they say since there is no noise. It's nice to see Ford employees on the forum who can help get issues resolved. Thank you Tricia and I will see what my dealer says when I show it to them.

Thanks Tricia, but I don't have any noise coming from my cowl. It just is not flat on the bottom of the windshield like it should be...
You’re very welcome, scarpi!

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you need anything, and have a great day! :D

Tricia

Hello Ford Fam,

I recommend that suggestion as well, bhorak. Try to video record the symptom while it’s happening.

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer, mileage, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Tricia

Tricia,
Thanks so much for your suggestions and offer. My Service Writer did check for TSB's when i had it in and he did go for a drive. It made the same noise last night on my way home and i did record it, and today emailed the recording to my Service Writer. Going in tomorrow for the mud flaps, and I will have him check the new TSB, and let me know what will be done to fix it. That being said, if they don't initiate the fix, I will be happy to take you up on your kind offer, as well as plan on not purchasing a fourth Ford from that dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tricia,
Thanks so much for your suggestions and offer. My Service Writer did check for TSB's when i had it in and he did go for a drive...
You’re welcome, bhorak.

Please keep me posted, and have a nice weekend! :)

Tricia

Back