Explorer A4LD in BII | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A4LD in BII

opster

Reaction score
I wanted to know if I can just drop a Explorer A4LD in a BII. I was thinking the only thing to exchange would be the governor weight (and maybe an adjustable modulator), so the BII shift points remain the same. Should I swap valve bodies too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I'm not mistaken it should be a pretty much direct swap. In fact it would be good because you would get the slightly stronger internals of the explorer in the B2, so it may last longer. If I was gonna do that I would make sure and get one from a '94 explorer, that has the most factory upgrades stock that way.

Actually, thinking of it, it will matter if your old A4LD had the same electronic overdrive and locking converter. If I'm not mistaken some older versions were slightly different in that area, and it could take some electrical adapting depending on the year of B2.

It's a 1990. The donor is from a 92 explorer I think. I've taken the 92 apart (made sure everything was good) and am in the process of putting it back together. All of the internals in the case have been left explorer.

I'm about to get to the VB. So that is why I ask. I was going to use the old VB from my dead BII trans. But on second thought I thought I could just use the 92 VB from the explorer. I think this would be the right thing to do, and just use the governor assembly from the BII, with an adjustable modulator so that my shift points will be right. So I guess what I'm sort of asking is there really any differences in the explorer VB and BII VB.

It's a 2.9L. So what should I do? 1)use the old BII VB with the BII governor assembly or
2) Use the explorer VB with the BII governor assembly or 3) use the explorer VB and explorer governor assembly (which would essentially be the entire explorer trans).

The bell housings will bolt up, but the electronics are totally different. It will bolt up, but not function properly.

I was pretty sure the electronics were the same. Both use a two solenoid VB. Maybe your thinking of the 95 and up explorers.

When I say electronics, I ment and should have clarified that the plugs are probably different; if I remember correctly the Explorer pin out is different.

I think the gear ratios are also different.

You might be right about the solenoid plug, I'll check. I'm pretty sure though that the trans gear ratios are the same, it's just that the rear/front end gear ratio is obviously different on the BII and Explorer. That is why I'm concerned with the shift points, and therefore any differences in the BII VB (valve body) and the Explorer VB.

I don't think the plugins are different. check them before you put the Ex tranny back together. if either one has the steel (not aluminum) counterweight on the governor, use that one. the 4.0 A4LD's have a larger/improved low/reverse sprag. the 4.0 torque converter will have a slightly lower stall speed; this should help gas mileage slightly (don't expect miracles).

I've changed the OD band on all the A4ld's that I've worked on. I prefer the one piece band over the original/split band. You'll need a different anchor pin for the band. if you have access to some exchanged 4R's or 5R's, the anchors will do excellent with a one piece band.

hope I helped or maybe brought up more questions !?!

Back