• Register Today It's free!

Explorer acceleration prob

twh34d

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a 94 Explorer 4x4 XLT. I have recently discovered a problem that occurs when I drive long distances(3 hours or ~150 miles). After driving this far it will begin to cut out when I am trying to accelerate, or even when the cruise control is on. I will be riding along and the car will just stop accelerating as if the gas pedal was released. If I wait a mitute with the gas pedal pressed it will fire back up and I will return to cruising speed. If I don't want to slow down a lot and wait for it then I can mash the gas pedal down to the floor and it will immediately become unstuck and functioning properly again. Needless to say this method of driving wastes a ton of gas and I'm sure it is hard on the car. Anyone have any ideas why the fuel flow gets cut off momentarily or whatever happens happens?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only things I can think of are a bad fule pump or clogged fuel filter..

But, normally you would notice problems before 3 hours of driving, unless at that point you are hitting more hills and are only marginaly(sp?) starving the engine

If you can't remember when you last changed the fuel filter, change it..
You can also check if you have enough Fuel pressure, and if it stays up even when you bring up the rpms.. (Pressure with key on, engine off and when running should be within 2 psi.. and pressure should stay about the same even when you raise the rpms some).

~Mark

I'd do what Mark said and then come back here and tell us if that solved it.

I can think of a few other things (O2s, chafed plug wires) but first make sure it's getting fuel as was suggested.

Could it have anything to do with the sensor on top of the engine on the driver side. I think it might be called the ERG sensor or some differential pressure sensor...two air lines into it. This sensor went bad on me not too long ago and I replaced it and it seems to be out of range again. Besides the problem I described above the car runs beautifully so I've been putting off replacing the sensor again. I replaced the plug wires a month ago and they look fine.

I think I am just going to replace the fuel pump and sending unit because I know the sending unit is bad. Worst case scenario it doesn't fix the problem but at least I'll have a new fuel pump and a working gas gauge again. Thanks for all the help guys, your comments and suggestions are always helpful.

twh34d said:
Could it have anything to do with the sensor on top of the engine on the driver side. I think it might be called the ERG sensor or some differential pressure sensor...two air lines into it. This sensor went bad on me not too long ago and I replaced it and it seems to be out of range again.

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is what that is. Usually it will light off your "Check Engine" light if it is malfunctioning.

twh34d said:
I think I am just going to replace the fuel pump and sending unit because I know the sending unit is bad. Worst case scenario it doesn't fix the problem but at least I'll have a new fuel pump and a working gas gauge again.

Worst case is, that the sending unit is bad, AND the float is also bad. :)
Either one or both can cause your gas gauge to not work right.

Back