Explorer advise on reliability, price stc... need some info... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer advise on reliability, price stc... need some info...

June

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Shade, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
??
Hello, I recently sold my Jeep and I'm in the market for another 4X4 and I've been seriously considering an Explorer. I wanted to know how relaible the 4.0 engines are and how reliable the automatic transmissions are? Also what kind of gas mileage is everyone getting. And what should I look for when buying an Explorer, like common problems leaks etc. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm going today to look at a 1992 Explorer XLT 4dr, It has 150K miles on the clock and 15K on a new engine. The guy says it's in great shape with new tires, exhaust and battery. Being that the engine in new I would only be concerned about the tranny. Is there anything I should look or listen for when I go to test drive it. The price is $4600. Does that seem like a fair price? What should I look for? Thanks in advance

June
Hopefully rockin an Explorer soon.

June,

I would do a search on this site for A4LD. They are a fine tranny in the stock explorer if they are kept cool and maintained.The 4.0 engine is excellent.
Points I would look at /concentrate on:

Engine- " New" what does that mean?, also why was it replaced? On any 4.0 I would look at/ ask about:
rocker arms and lifters - were they replaced with new, or are they really new.
The intake gaskets develope leaks if they are not torqued correctll- check at the rear near the firewall.

Other than those areas the engines are excellent and should go 150-200k easy.

With 150k I would look at the radiator carefully- tank to core joints.

Transmission- the Auto needs to be cool and maintained- rebuilds are on the order of 1500-2000 dollars.
I would make sure that the vehicle has a transmission cooler other than the intank radiator cooler- The factory offered a few and they are all mounted in front of the radiator and A/C condensor, you should be able to see it through the grill. Looks like a small radiator woith two rubber hoses that go down under the rad where they connect to the tubes from the rad/transmission.

The transmission is the concern and with 150K it is getting close to needing a rebuild no doubt. I would ask specific questions about use- was it Offroaded, did they tow with it? did it ever overheat? Any trans work done to it- the modulator and the servo seals do fail occasionally. If its been worked on what was done, did they replace the Torque Converter? Thats an area to address when rebuilding.

Along these same lines I personally would look at the axle ratio and stick with a 3.55 or 3.73, it should be easier on the transmission than the 3.07 or 3.27s especially if it was used for any type of towing.

I would take it someplace and have them scope and scan it for codes- should give you a good Idea about the mechanical condition.

On the suspension I would look at the front radius arm bushings.

Body check for rust at the rockers particularly right before the rear wheel wells.

I would do a few searches of this site to see whats up, there is a lot of good information here(some not so good also, so cross check everything)
Good Luck

Yeah, what Steve said. Dang Steve you hit that right on the head!!

Welcome June!! Just be very observant when looking at the Explorer. Listen to it when you start it, give it gas, go over a bump in the road, and stopping. Just listen!! Good Luck and hope to see you around here with a 92 Explorer XLT.:cool:

Back