Explorer as a towing package | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer as a towing package

I would suggest like everyone esle to get the 4WD, beefier suspension components and as a boat owner the FWD won't cut it. Asking for problems if you got a boat and you are solely relying on a already heavy suv to pull you up wards the ramp on a slippery surfice. One of the guys a while back stated he wish he would have gotten the 4WD since he had a rough time and also suffered the embarrassment of spinning the tires trying to get his boat out of the water too include get the EX up the ramp. Do yourself a favor and shell out for the extra AWD insurance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, for towing boats in/out of water via boat ramps, AWD is preferred. Plus much of added cost will be recovered in resale value.

Yes

Towing

Heart set on the Explorer but now I'm getting worried. Anyone have any thoughts on 2013 FWD with towing package hauling 4000lbs (including cargo and passengers) through BC mountains? I'm wondering if I should be looking at Acadia's or Durango's?

We have a 2011 AWD and are towing a 3800 pound travel trailer. Last summer we did the Edmonton to Calgary to Banff then through the mountains to Jasper. Towed no problem. Did not set any speed records but it did not have any problems through the mountains while maintaining highway speed. I would highly recommend the weight distribution hitch. It helps distribute the weight from the back axle and onto the front. Maximum tongue weight should never exceed 10% of the total tow capacity (500 pounds). Looking at your original message about towing in the BC mountains I would go with the AWD. During the winter the AWD is excellent if you do need to get through the snow. Ryan

What kind of trailer, dry weight, etc..thinking of buying ultra litebtralier

Draper does the ex have a built in EOH brake controller?

It doesn't have a built in controller, but all the wiring to hook one up is present in the vehicle. You add your own controller and plug it in under the dash to the left of the steering column.

If you're gonna leave the pavement it'll be helpful, also remember that the more weight you put on the trailer the less weight will be on the front tires. FWD can tow more though, assuming you never leave clean pavement.

No. Take a look at the 2012 Ford Towing Guide
The chart on page 27 clearly shows that without the use of a WDH, you can only tow 2000 lbs, even with the optional tow package. If you want the 5000 lbs rating, you need to use a WDH.
And when you set up a WDH properly, you will be transferring all of the lost weight (due to the tongue weight) back onto the front wheels.
That is the primary purpose of a WDH: To restore that lost weight for proper handling. A side benefit is that it re-levels the tow vehicle so your not blinding oncoming traffic with the headlights.

No. Take a look at the 2012 Ford Towing Guide
The chart on page 27 clearly shows that without the use of a WDH, you can only tow 2000 lbs, even with the optional tow package. If you want the 5000 lbs rating, you need to use a WDH.
And when you set up a WDH properly, you will be transferring all of the lost weight (due to the tongue weight) back onto the front wheels.
That is the primary purpose of a WDH: To restore that lost weight for proper handling. A side benefit is that it re-levels the tow vehicle so your not blinding oncoming traffic with the headlights.

I was surprised to see that the Explorer without a WDH is rated at 1500 lbs less than an Escape.

Back