• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

champco

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Thanks for finding that diagram but I do not think it quite matches up. My right front tweeter has violet/orange-yellow/orange wires (even though it doesn't show very well in this picture). But the most interesting thing about the diagram is that all speakers appear to be originating directly from the audio module. My new speakers consist of a woofer, a tweeter and a crossover expecting a single 2 wire input. I did not think to photograph the woofer wires although they are blurry in the background. I will ask the Crutchfield guys in the morning if it is better to use the woofer wires or the tweeter wires for the crossover input.

Yes I agree, on all of it. The original tweeter having the crossover built in may say the signal to them is full. Would be nice to know the power there. I might be tempted to change the door speakers and call it good. That tweeter channel should remain loaded. Using your new one with crossover and new the door speaker would probably work good.
There is one guy on here who completely redid his Explorer Sony System. Would be worth a study.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
Yes I agree, on all of it. The original tweeter having the crossover built in may say the signal to them is full. Would be nice to know the power there. I might be tempted to change the door speakers and call it good. That tweeter channel should remain loaded. Using your new one with crossover and new the door speaker would probably work good.
There is one guy on here who completely redid his Explorer Sony System. Would be worth a study.
I managed to get a wiring diagram for the 2016 Explorer Sony system, I included it here. I also called Crutchfield. They said connect the crossover to the woofer output so I guess that is how I will proceed.

Attachments

champco

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Wo
I managed to get a wiring diagram for the 2016 Explorer Sony system, I included it here. I also called Crutchfield. They said connect the crossover to the woofer output so I guess that is how I will proceed.
Wow. You just posted Radio wiring for all the Explorer,s Yours is starting on page 6 unless you have the Platinum version.
The OEM tweeter does have it's own amp channel which should keep a load on it. If it were me I would just stow that oEM tweeter inside the door panel unless you can come up with some creative way to make it more useful. Good job.

DMG632

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I redid my entire system (except the head unit) in my 2016 Sport.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-sport-audio-up-grade-plus-some.444695/

I did not use the factory speaker wires. When hooking up the Bit One processer, I got all the radio out-puts (processer in-put) right after the factory amp and ran new wires to the new speakers. I did not use any cross-overs since the Bit One handles that.

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
Wo

Wow. You just posted Radio wiring for all the Explorer,s Yours is starting on page 6 unless you have the Platinum version.
The OEM tweeter does have it's own amp channel which should keep a load on it. If it were me I would just stow that oEM tweeter inside the door panel unless you can come up with some creative way to make it more useful. Good job.
...and I just ran into another really stupid roadblock. I took the speakers out of their boxes only to discover there are absolutely NO wires included! I called Crutchfield and they said that is how they come but I have never seen that before. Now I have to sit here with the wire and connectors I just purchased to make wires for the tweeters to connect to the crossover, the woofers to connect to the crossover, the crossover to connect to the harness, and for the rear speaker wires to connect to whatever is back there.

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited

champco

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I redid my entire system (except the head unit) in my 2016 Sport.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2016-sport-audio-up-grade-plus-some.444695/

I did not use the factory speaker wires. When hooking up the Bit One processer, I got all the radio out-puts (processer in-put) right after the factory amp and ran new wires to the new speakers. I did not use any cross-overs since the Bit One handles that.
How is all that working out for you. Is there anything you would do different??

champco

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
...and I just ran into another really stupid roadblock. I took the speakers out of their boxes only to discover there are absolutely NO wires included! I called Crutchfield and they said that is how they come but I have never seen that before. Now I have to sit here with the wire and connectors I just purchased to make wires for the tweeters to connect to the crossover, the woofers to connect to the crossover, the crossover to connect to the harness, and for the rear speaker wires to connect to whatever is back there.
What brand was that?? What is the crossover like?? How do the wires connect? Crutchfield is pretty good about being all inclusive. Surprised they did not offer needed wiring with your purchase.

Last edited:

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
What brand was that?? What is the crossover like?? How do the wires connect? Crutchfield is pretty good about being all inclusive. Surprised they did not offer needed wiring with your purchase.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P65...html?search=Infinity_Primus_PR6500cs&skipvs=T

They did include the harness which plugs into the connector that gets unplugged from the woofer. The wires that are missing are the ones you expect to be included in the speaker box. I can't blame Crutchfield for that if they are not included in the box, I chose the speakers. Besides, the 22-gauge stuff I got from Radio Shack looks a bit thicker than what is usually included. I hope its thick enough though.

DMG632

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
How is all that working out for you. Is there anything you would do different??
As far as the equipment goes I would not change a thing! When my kids (19 years old) change the music to rap or gangster rap (not sure if that's even music) you can feel the bass, windows shake and people outside the car can hear it. When I play my music it's like having the band playing on the entire dashboard.

About the only thing that I will be changing is the mounting of the remote, it's kind of plain. I want to add some LED's for a little more visual impact.

With the Audison remote I have 4 entirely different settings for what is being played, each setting has a different cross-over point, different time alignment and more or less power going to each set of speakers.
setting 1: Flat (works best with the radio source like Howard S.)
setting 2: Heavy Bass (for the kids)
setting 3: (used for judging)
setting 4: My favorite (listening to Rock with a lot of kicks)

I've been into car audio for over 35 years and this system is the most detailed system I have ever had. Several IASCA judges have listened to it and have it very high marks, one of them even set-up one of the tunes for me.

Controler 2.JPG

Rich2017

Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer xlt
I know this is an old thread but did anyone upgrade any of the speakers or amp on the Sony 500 watt or 390 watt system? If so what speakers did wind up using? Amps?
Rich here, 2017 ford XLT 7speaker system. Getting ready to use PSIX DSP Helix amp for mids and highs, JL Audio mids/highs components, 10"JL Audio DVCsub, with JLAudio 800w amp. Fiber glassing sub in same location as factory 8. Doing install at Car Tunes in Clearwater Florida. Wont start install for about 2 weeks. If you want more info about this, contact Mike at Car Tunes. My current Titan has 2 RF p1000.2 pushing 2 RF 12s, shallowmount and 2 RF shallow 10s, with 600w 6channel JL Audio on 3 sets of JBL components. Sound deadening through out. 3000w Stinger Battery, 270Amp Alternator. Pioneer 8"DVD.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Rich here, 2017 ford XLT 7speaker system. Getting ready to use PSIX DSP Helix amp for mids and highs, JL Audio mids/highs components, 10"JL Audio DVCsub, with JLAudio 800w amp. Fiber glassing sub in same location as factory 8. Doing install at Car Tunes in Clearwater Florida. Wont start install for about 2 weeks. If you want more info about this, contact Mike at Car Tunes. My current Titan has 2 RF p1000.2 pushing 2 RF 12s, shallowmount and 2 RF shallow 10s, with 600w 6channel JL Audio on 3 sets of JBL components. Sound deadening through out. 3000w Stinger Battery, 270Amp Alternator. Pioneer 8"DVD.
Welcome to the Forum Rich.:wave:
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) I found this thread and moved your post here as it did not apply to the other thread topic. The 'Search' feature is a very useful program to find threads/post on topics already discussed.

Peter

darkunderlord

Reaction score
City, State
Westfield, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hey all,

I just got my 2017 Ford Explorer XLT and loving it so far. It has the nine speaker system, no nav, etc. I believe it's the 202A package.

I want to add my amp and subs to the stereo. I believe I'll have to tap into the speaker wires, as I have done before, but that usually ends up being an imperfect solution. Anyone have good pointers on where to tap into it, etc? My package being a 9 speaker, doesn't have the sub already in it etc. I've googled around and the sync 3 and 2017 are new enough I can't find alot of detailed info on doing this.

Thanks!

Travis

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hey all,

I just got my 2017 Ford Explorer XLT and loving it so far. It has the nine speaker system, no nav, etc. I believe it's the 202A package.

I want to add my amp and subs to the stereo. I believe I'll have to tap into the speaker wires, as I have done before, but that usually ends up being an imperfect solution. Anyone have good pointers on where to tap into it, etc? My package being a 9 speaker, doesn't have the sub already in it etc. I've googled around and the sync 3 and 2017 are new enough I can't find alot of detailed info on doing this.

Thanks!

Travis
Welcome to the Forum Travis.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There are a few others on upgrades that you can find using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature in the upper right. Search in the 'Modified' thread. Here is another you may be interested in; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...016-explorer-sport-audio-system-build.458500/
Good luck.

Peter

Jerry Horton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford
I read all the pages, wow that is a lot of information over the time this thread went on.... I am not sure if it just did not just give me more questions.... But there is some good sound guys on this site for sure!!!

I will get better at using search to help me in my 2014 explorer sport stereo upgrade....

Last edited:

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
I read all the pages, wow that is a lot of information over the time is went on.... I am not sure if it just did not just give me more questions.... But there is some good sound guys on this site for sure!!!

Hi Guys, figured/ hoped this would be a good thread to ask on.... I have a 2014 Sport with Sony 9 speaker with woofer box...How can you tell if it has an amp or not? Some on this thread said they have the Sony 9 but no amp. Does having 9 with sub mean amp to door speakers too???

As I am not a master stereo guy, I am not sure which speakers to use. I also don't know if I should wait to do it all under the long term plan i.e. would I want different door speakers if I amp it down the road or can I put them in first and they will sound better with more power????

My short term plan:
Deck changing to 2017 sync system:
https://www.4dtech.com/11-14-ford-explorer-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/
The door speakers.
I really could use some guidance with this choice and will power later cause me to wait on these?
Note: if the sound get better with just speaker change I might not need long term plan of this amp and just do better base box....

Long term is adding amp, and adding sub box....

This would be long term list, unless there is a better way.....
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694520/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html
Note I am not sure what amp for that box tho..... also not sure how to connect it with out the below LOL

Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP for all speakers but woofer
With
http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/ADS-AR-FOR02-KEN-IG-EN_20170513.pdf
There are several members on here who have showcased some outstanding Explorer stereo upgrades.

I hate to say it but by using the search function in the electronic and technology threads will produce some very good write ups.

These guys are a wealth of knowledge and have skills I wish I had.

Jerry Horton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford
LOL, I am amazed that so many just say use search.... Well sometimes people do that and still come up short with there specific question. Thank you for your agreement with me in regards to talent on this site, but maybe when you read these post like I made, it was not to you but to one of the others on here that do understand this crazy advanced, climate, Navigation, backup camera, sync3, seat worming AND ETC thing we call a stereo LOL

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
LOL, I am amazed that so many just say use search.... Well sometimes people do that and still come up short with there specific question.
Hi Jerry. As for using 'Search', many times it depends on how you use it. There are several ways. Although what I know about using it was through trial and error I have managed on many occasions to find topics/threads that members said they could not find and I'm still learning. Also, some do not realize that you can 'Search' within a thread rather than having to read through all the posts. It is a very useful tool, if you know how to use it to your advantage. One of the Forum rules actually is to conduct a 'Search' prior to starting a new thread to ensure that a new thread isn't created while an existing on on the topic already exists. Unfortunately this isn't always done.

Peter

Jerry Horton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford
Hi Jerry. As for using 'Search', many times it depends on how you use it. There are several ways. Although what I know about using it was through trial and error I have managed on many occasions to find topics/threads that members said they could not find and I'm still learning. Also, some do not realize that you can 'Search' within a thread rather than having to read through all the posts. It is a very useful tool, if you know how to use it to your advantage. One of the Forum rules actually is to conduct a 'Search' prior to starting a new thread to ensure that a new thread isn't created while an existing on on the topic already exists. Unfortunately this isn't always done.

Peter

I never said I know 100% how to search all the in and outs on this or any forum. I think most people need time on each forum to get used to it. learn it. I understand, that search is first, and I think many try to search, and come up short? Why? "By your words, through trial and error". That takes time. SO if you do not want anyone to post a question without 100% certainty there is no thread, or post somewhere buried in years of data, you should make a rule no new person can post before x time here. Because as a moderator, it has taken you time to figure it out right?

I personally would think, those on this forum would want to help by, heck I don't know? Maybe using there gift of time here and gift of there ability to search more efficiently rather than just saying figure it out or assume I have not tried at all. Leaving a post, there are great threads on her addressing that issue, use search please. How is that help full? It is assumptions and lack of compassion for a learning curve at best. Thats my take anyway.... I tried to search.... LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jerry Horton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford
I removed my questions... sorry for the inconvenience it has caused.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 2014 Explorer Audio Modification. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
E 2019 Explorer XLT Audio Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
L 2016 Explorer Sport - Audio System Build Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 60
L 2014 Explorer Sport Audio Idea Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
C 2019 Explorer Sport Speaker Install/Discussion Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
D 2016 explorer leveling kit Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
are6rider 2015 Ford Explorer Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 20
L 18 mustang wheels on 17 explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
J Hide wooden trim in explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Tow/Haul Mode 2011 Explorer without tow package Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
G Installation of Power running boards on my ford explorer 2015 XLT Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
TJ@Steeda Steeda New Product Release: Steeda F-150/Explorer Pro-Flow Blow-Off Valve Adapter (2011-2019) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
C Explorer sport 9006/9012 upgrade Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Issues with FORScan in 2018 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 21
TJ@Steeda Now Available: Steeda Explorer Adjustable Toe Links Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
M Headlight/Fog light upgrade for 2015 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 21
M 2018 Explorer Speaker Install Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 37
9 2016 Explorer Sport Downpipes or Borla Catback Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
expoman55 2019 and 2020 Explorer wheel pattern & tire size. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Upgrades for 2018 Explorer XLT Base? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
J How to "Sportify"/black out my non sport explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
D New Explorer owner ready to modify Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
G 2015 ford explorer XLT Door Unlock Wire Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
B Any more upgrades to a 14 NA Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
F 2019 Explorer Sport thermostat change Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
Z Setina PB 400 Push Bar installation help 2012 Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
C Any of the PIU front bumper components fit base Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
S Need Help - Explorer Not Shifting Up When Floored - Bigger Tires 295 45 20 and SCT Tune Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
T Lincoln Navigator 22’s on Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
T Mounting gun box (security box) to 2014 explorer sport (floor mount) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
ghosted Some good, but mostly hilarious Explorer mods Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
F Borla Cat-back install on my 2014 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
J 17 explorer cargo/trunk light bulb type? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
1 Best tuner for Explorer Sport? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 32
A Comparing LED bulb to my old Halogen bulb - Explorer 2013 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
expoman55 360 camera view available on Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
M Ford Explorer Dyno Tips Help Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
B How To: 2017 Explorer Custom Mount for Yakima Awning Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
B 2018 Explorer SPORT tune and exhaust? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 19
D 2013 Ford Explorer Sport “Recommended” upgrades Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
Z Strongest running boards for 2013 explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
M 2017 Explorer sport cold air intake issue Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 27
Ron Bumpus 5Star Tuning now supporting the 2017 Ford Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
M 2015 explorer block heater install Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
E Has anyone ever used H&R super sport springs for explorer sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
expoman55 Ceramic Brakes on Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
A full led headlights and front grille Ford Explorer 17 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 20
Daheim111 Explorer Sport / lower front bumper part worksd good as snowplough... Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
A Ford Raptor Grille for Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 29
E 2012 Explorer XLT driver door speaker replacement. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4