Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I was looking at this: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~125888

I was thinking that maybe the CD/radio has an internal amp that handles the audio for the rear speakers. The amp in the rear would handle the front speakers. When someone uses the Sync functions the MFT unit tells the CD/radio to shut off all audio to the rear speakers, then the amp is used to send the Sync audio to the front speakers only.

Could this be the way it is setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also wondering, in the 8 speaker non-Sony system, if the 3rd row set of speakers preform the same function as the front row tweeters. Are they in a two-way configuration with the 2nd row speakers?

There does seem to be something goofy going on. It is possible the head unit has an amp built in to power the center channel. And that could make sense because the wiring wouldn't have to be any longer than a few feet and unless you turn on the 5.1 sound (Sony system only I think) the amp in the head unit would only be on when MFT is used.

It is also possible the third row speakers are run in parallel with the second row door speakers. If the speakers are 8-ohm each that would present a 4-ohm load to the amp. However, if other posts are true, the second row door speakers are 4 ohm and the third row are 16 ohm. So I'm not really sure what is going on there. Although it still could be done.

To clear up some items:

• As far as the Sony system and what I experience. When MFT is in use, audio is not shut off to all the rear speakers, it is muted a certain db level.
  • According to the 12-volt wiring log, the amp for any speaker is located in the rear quarter panel. However, this may only be true for the Sony system.
  • I have a feeling the picture you included a few posts ago is that of the outputs from the amp. And the input/output labels you included are reversed. The reason I believe that to be the case is based off the number of wires.

An easy way to determine what wires are doing what, take a look at one of the speaker terminals. If the wires going to the speaker are white with a striped color, then your labeling is correct. But if the wires to the speaker are solid colors, then your input/output labels are reversed.

Thanks deewan.

I plan on replacing the stock speakers (all but may leave center channel), adding an amp for the new speakers and adding a sub and an amp for it.
Of course, I am assuming the stock radio will accept these additions. LoL.

JohnCue - I have seen the Memphis product at my local shop. They look like a solid product. Will you be doing the work yourself or having a shop do the work for you?

I counted my 2013 sony sound speakers and only count 10 (2 front tweeters, 2 front doors, 2 second row doors, 2 3rd row head tweeters, sub, center speaker)

I counted my 2013 sony sound speakers and only count 10 (2 front tweeters, 2 front doors, 2 second row doors, 2 3rd row head tweeters, sub, center speaker)

Sony counts the 2-way coax speakers in the second row doors as 4 speakers (one woofer in each door and one tweeter in each door x 2 = 4). Technically they are correct, but it's a gray area.

what that mean I can pull full Range from the second row doors to line level converter to an amplifier?

Do not pull high level from the rear or any doors. There is a lot going on with factory signals these days. They never are full range. usually cutting out subsonic (usless low freq that smaller speakers cant use). These are important freq for a sub system. If you have noticed the bass performance is different all through the volume range. As volume increases bass output levels roll off to improve over all loudness.

Take the high level off the sub. its the best you can get with out an aftermarket HU.

JohnCue - I have seen the Memphis product at my local shop. They look like a solid product. Will you be doing the work yourself or having a shop do the work for you?

deewan, I'll have the shop do it. I know great audio quality and know when to keep my hands out of trying to install it. LoL

Take care,
John

I think what mwoods meant, and machine4321 suggested/confirmed, you do not want to take a signal after the OEM amp. You want to splice into it before the OEM amp. Even then, the head unit is probably doing some EQ'ing at certain volumes. But for those who do not have a factory sub, if you splice into the signal for the rear speakers BEFORE the amp, that is your best bet (outside of replacing the head unit).

deewan, I'll have the shop do it. I know great audio quality and know when to keep my hands out of trying to install it. LoL

Take care,
John

John, feel free to report back on your install and your listening impressions. Thanks for the music link. I listen to everything and always interested in new music.

Do we know if the signal before the amp is classified as a lowlevel? Taking signal from before the amp and running to the highlevel filter may not work out so well. not 100%, just thinking out loud.

I think what mwoods meant, and machine4321 suggested/confirmed, you do not want to take a signal after the OEM amp. You want to splice into it before the OEM amp. Even then, the head unit is probably doing some EQ'ing at certain volumes. But for those who do not have a factory sub, if you splice into the signal for the rear speakers BEFORE the amp, that is your best bet (outside of replacing the head unit).

John, feel free to report back on your install and your listening impressions. Thanks for the music link. I listen to everything and always interested in new music.

Not a problem. Will do.

View attachment 73017

I took a look at the factory amp. I have the non-Sony 8 speaker.

The vehicle has 7 wires entering the amp.

1. Solid yellow (RF -)
2. Solid purple (RF +)
3. Purple w/red stripe (Amp turn on)
4. Solid green (LF +)
5. Solid gray (LF -)
6. Gray w/red stripe (12 volt radio ?)
7. Black w/yellow stripe (unknown)(ground ?)

The vehicle also has 4 wires exiting the amp.

1. Solid white (LF +)
2. White w/brown stripe (LF -)
3. White w/orange stripe (RF -)
4. White w/purple stripe (RF +)

Does anyone know what these wires represent? And how can 4 wires leaving the amp power all of the speakers?

Edit

Added some of the wire functions. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~125888

7. I am just guessing.

Also added photo

Hello there to all....
I am new to the forum and own a 2013 Explorer XLT with 9 speaker premium audio. I was expecting to find an amplifier behind rear quarter panel but when I pulled the panel there was no amplifier. I understand that the Sony premium in the limited has the amplifier but I thought the premium 9 speaker would also have it...I see there is a pic of the Amplifier for the non Sony 8 speaker but where did you find that? I am looking to add JBL ms-8 and a pioneer shallow subwoofer in a custom fiberglass molded enclosure behind the rear panel with cone being at the opening where the OEM sub usually is and where my current cubby cover is...

I need to know if there is a factory amp with this system and where and if not can I tap into harness at head unit for ms-8? MFT may be an issue...

So, I'm wondering, is there an amp at all with xlt with 9 speaker premium audio? I would think that if it did have an amp that it would have been in same location as Sony but as noted in prior post I did not find one. So is there another location?(center console, in dash?) Or is integrated into head unit?

After searching forum I have not found anyone who has noted finding xlt premium amp or adding processors or amps to mft....

Anyone?

So, I'm wondering, is there an amp at all with xlt with 9 speaker premium audio? I would think that if it did have an amp that it would have been in same location as Sony but as noted in prior post I did not find one. So is there another location?(center console, in dash?) Or is integrated into head unit?

After searching forum I have not found anyone who has noted finding xlt premium amp or adding processors or amps to mft....

Anyone?

XLT 9 speaker premium does use amp. Same location.. passenger side rear quarter panel (basically even w/ the 3rd row seats on the passenger side behind the plastic)

Cool - does anyone have any details on what the power output is on it or anything? Just curious...

I'm just finishing up a 4 speaker replacement install on my '13 XLT and will post pictures of some of the install as I haven't seen any pictures here of what the stock speakers look like, door panels off, etc...

The stock speakers are a bit odd as they're basically a speaker and a spacer built into one. I ended up cutting them apart and using the housing of the speaker as a spacer.

Rear Speaker
IMG_2451.jpg

Carving the rear speaker out of the housing
IMG_2453.jpg

No going back now!
IMG_2455.jpg

Notched out for screw tabs
IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Re-used foam as the rear speakers had foam around them.
IMG_2459.jpg

In the door
IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

I'll post some of the front door next.

XLT 9 speaker premium does use amp. Same location.. passenger side rear quarter panel (basically even w/ the 3rd row seats on the passenger side behind the plastic)

HMmmm. OK then, LOL....
How did I miss that? I pulled the rear passenger panel and did not find an amplifier. There was only one small black box about 4x5, same as I have seen in other pics which is not the amp but In the location where I have seen the amps there is nothing there...
I have some pics I will try to post shortly...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool - does anyone have any details on what the power output is on it or anything? Just curious...

I'm just finishing up a 4 speaker replacement install on my '13 XLT and will post pictures of some of the install as I haven't seen any pictures here of what the stock speakers look like, door panels off, etc...

The stock speakers are a bit odd as they're basically a speaker and a spacer built into one. I ended up cutting them apart and using the housing of the speaker as a spacer.

I am assuming you have 202A with 9 speaker premium audio? If so have you looked for the amp behind the passenger rear quarter panel? Can you look? Maybe take a pic if or if not you find it?

Back