Explorer Audio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Audio

C

csunracer

Well guys, I'm new to the world of explorers, but I have a lot of experience when it comes to car audio, being that i've been selling it for the past 3 years. I just bought my 92 XLT last week. This week i'm ordering 4 10" Thunder 5000 mtx subs, a thunder 2300 amp, thunder 5400 amp, and boston acoustics 6 1/2" seperates for the front and rear doors. For a deck i'm using a sony cdxc780 mobile es cd player. I also have a changer flush mounted in the center console. It's also getting a treatment of monster cable power, and rca cables from front to rear, and the addition of an optima deep cycle battery. If anybody has any questions relating to explorer audio or audio questions in general, i'd be happy to answer them.

------------------
92 XLT Explorer
91 heavily modified notchback mustang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have few questions for you. I have 1994 Ford Explorer with the premium audio system (tape player with full logic control and DNR on tape door). Surprisingly it sounded no too bad but the casette player and dull speakers had to go, I had to modify it. I wanted to improve audio performance while keeping the stock interior of the vehicle. (obstrusive electronics and wiring would take up valuable cargo space) I replaced the head unit with SONY CD deck with an integrated remote control mounted on the center console. The front and rear door speakers were replaced with Clarion SRC 5752 plate speaker, the factory provides enough power without any distortion ( I used a peripheral interfaces adaptor with level controls for each channel to connect the head unit to the factory harness) . I kept the factory amp for two reasons . One I did not want to have to rip out the entire vehicle interior to replace the wiring to the speakers only to reinstall everything and have new rattles, Two I want to add the subwoofer that some other Explorers have. I know that factory equipment doesn't sound as good as aftermarket , but I need the cargo space that the recessed subwoofer can provide. I have seen the models by Q-forms , MTX, and JL audio, but all require adding another amp which I don't have space for. I would like to know , how is the factory sub wired into the system. I have looked at the factory amp and there are three empty spaces in the harness. Do I have to get a different amp from ford or a wrecker, or can I add the sub by modifying the existing harness.

Rather than spending more money on ford original equipment i recommend that you do invest in a stealth enclosure by either mtx or JL. It is true that you will have to add another amp to run the sub, however both of the subs that are used in the stealth boxes are very efficent, meaning you would only need a small two channel amplifier bridged mono. You wouldn't lose any cargo space if you were to simply take off the passenger side cargo panel and mount the amp behind the panel. There is plenty of space there for a small two channel amp and then some. Not only will you eliminate having to mess around with the factory harness and spend ridiculous amounts of money on the ford parts, but you will have MUCH improved sound quality over stock, and better sound quality that can be had with even the ford subwoofer. I'm toying around with the idea of mounting several amps in that location now myself, but the amps i'm getting are quite large, but nevertheless i will let everybody know how the install proceeds.

------------------
92 XLT Explorer

I get my Jl audio box put i tomorrow. After looking at the Box they told me there is not enought room to mount the Amp behind the panel were the Factory amp is since the Box is so long. But this is in my Two door if you have an XLT is might be easier...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

Well if you don't have any room left behind the panel, there's always room under your seats. Usually in most car installs thats where we put the amplifiers.

------------------
92 XLT Explorer

I wanted some info on where I could pick up
one of those stealth box's for my '99 sport.
I just had some work done on the system,I changed the factory speakers with the pioneers, also I added two amps, an alpine flex(90x2)for the rear speakers,and another alpine(50x2)for the front's,I was also asked about a sub and they recomended the pioneer tube(square).it takes up too much room for me,and I am worried about theft.I am taking the sub back after the weekend. hope someone can give me the name of a place for the stealth. thanks............Billy

I wnt to the Audio in staller and they odered the one I wanted for me there a couple of different companys that make stealth boxs for Explorer, Jl audio (the one I got), MTx, Q forms and think another but I can't remember. All are made of wood except the Jl it is fiberglass. And the Jl is more expensive The box Jl comes with a speaker designed for the box The cost of the hole box and speaker was $515.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--

Kris Guilbeaux, Can you take some pictures of the installation of that JL box and post them on your page? I have your page bookmarked, and I'm waiting to see how it goes. I want to do the same thing, but $515.00 kind of has me a little gun shy with the wallet.

Great idea with the changer install!

Dean

I have the pictures taken I just need to get the film developed. I have the before and after shots. You might want to check witht the Audio installer to see if they have a lay a way plan. That is how I paid mine off. I will post the pictures soon...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--

I would sugest that you mount your amp on the other side (drivers) under the panel. I have my amp mounted there and its a large Soudsteam 5-channelle model 405 if I remember correctly.

To csunexplorer,

How does those Boston's sound. I recently purchased a pair for my 1992 Mustang but haven't installed them as of yet.

Hay I would like to ask a question,
I have a 91 XLT and have 5x7's in the doors,
but I was wondering if 6 1/2" components
would sound better. Also does anyone have
ideas where to mount two amps about 12"x12"
(one an inch larger and one an inch smaller)
any info or ideas are welcome.

You could mount one amplifier inside the right rear plastic panel in place of the factory amplifier. The other amplifier can be mounted inside the drivers side rear plastic panel, there is enough room for a large amplifier and a crossover.

As for your stock 5x7" speakers. Replacing them is a good idea and using a good set of 6 1/2" seperates do sound alot better. The problem with 61/2" woofers is there will be no room for the seperat tweeter in the factory location. 5 1/4" seperates could be mounted in the stock location or ifnusing a set of 5 1/2" seperats, the tweeter could be mounted on the door or in the dash.

ClutchJR,

I have an amp installed in the right rear beneath the panel in place of the stock amp. My question is how can you install another amp to the left rear panel when there is no exisiting bracket plate like the right side had for the stock amp?

Thanks

Well guys, here's an update on my system. Instead of going with the boston proseries seperates, i'm using the polk audio DB3065 components up front (which have a smoother, more realistic sound than the bostons), and the new polk audio DX-7 coax speakers for the rear doors (the most amazing coax speakers i've heard for a while. I removed my 6 disc changer and installed a 6 disc mini-disc changer instead in the center console...the 6 disc cd changer is getting replaced with a 10 disc which is going under the rear seat. As far as the subs, I have two 10" 5000 series MTX subs now, each running off of an MTX Thunder 275x amp. I'm getting two more subs, and the thunder 225HO amp to power all four 10"s, The thunder 275xs are then going to be used to power each set of front and rears. We're also installing the mtx LSX2 crossover, along with the EBC (external bass control) knob which will be mounted where the cig lighter is. Once this is done, we're going to install a 5 inch monitor up in the front of the car underneath the dash, and one in the rear at the bottom of the center console. Then under the back seat will be a sony playstation. If anybody is interested in pics of my install so far or of the upcoming work let me know and i'll be glad to get some online.

------------------
92 XLT Explorer

Hay Guys, thanks for the advice. I am allmost done with the system and its sounding great. also its looking realy good
when i am done i will try to post some pics
and give the detals.
thanks
Tim

csunracer- I just got a 95 explorer and am trying to fit my 10 disc changer in. I'm interested in how you fit the changer into the center console, but I can't figure out how to mount it. Can you give me some hints or suggestions as to other places to stash the changer? If anybody else has suggestions, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks.

Csimpson. I don't quite know what the center consoles are like in a 95 Explorer, but if they are anything like the one in my 92 XLT it will be tough to mount a 10 disc in the center console. I had a 6 originally mounted there, and to get it in some cutting needed to be done on the metal support inside the center console...Another location (where i plan to mount my 10 disc) is under the back seat...on my 92 there is sufficient amount of room under the passenger rear seat...making it somewhat accessible from the ****pit of the car.

------------------
92 XLT Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a 94 XLT how do you remove the plastic panel that hides the amplifier?

Back