Explorer Based Truggy ????

gonegonzo

Reaction score
City, State
Wellsville , Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
I have a clapped out 92 Explorer.

4.o engine runs great but can't keep automatic trannies in it.

Would like to build a low buck truggy and switch to standard shift.

Any advice or tips ?

Thx,

Gonzo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL :) there are a few well built Explorer rock buggies on this site, try searching around :)

clapped out is a slang word meaning 'beat up'. He is trying to say that his Explorer is beat up.

Ryan

Clapped out = rusted out and a tree branch fell on and destroyed the hatch area.

My biggest issue is the tranny. It's an automatic and , well, if you have an Explorer you already know their trannies are scrap.

Gonzo

Come up and buy my c5 3 speed auto:D
I think Explorers make a good base for buggys...strong frames, easy sas, wheel base. Cutting 100s of lbs. off is a great thing too!!

Find a m5od to replace your al4d you have now. You will be happy (I am).

People call mine a buggy.

But to me it's still 100% explorer.
HPIM0886.jpg

HPIM0663.jpg

HPIM0950.jpg

Nice rigs guys,

Burns , what all do i need with the manual set up ?

Harware ?

Electrics ?

Is this a Mazda unit ?

What should I expect to pay for it all ?

Thx Gonzo

Find a totaled ranger/explorer and use everything from it on the swap. Thats how i did mine. You need everything

i say to dove tail the front and rear for tire clearence, go Dana 60, long arms, half doors, chop top, and run 38's...

Ya'll are giving me a lot of food for thought. That's just what I need for this build.

Thankx goes out to IzWack for the build pages he sent me as well.

I think I mentioned it before but this build is an experiment while i'm on lay off status so you'll be seeing a lot of low buck building going on for now.

When called back to work the plan is to upgrade everything to "bullet proff ".

Gonzo

im debating on cutting the top did it on a cherokee didnt like it but i wanna dove tail and comp cut my extruggy

Here was Msupertek's rig about a month ago that I bought from him 2 years ago. It has gone through a complete suspension overhaul since him.

suspensionsetup005.jpg

Here it is as of last Sunday (12/20). About to get a bunch of tube work and become a 4-seater instead of 5. I'll stick with the 44 and 9" for now just to get it wheelin again, but I already have the 60 and 14 bolt waiting to be built up and installed.

nofrontclip-1.jpg

backhalfed3.jpg

backhalfed2.jpg

This whole phase of the build started just so I could get rid of the body lift, the "cage", and lighten it up as much as possible. I plan on skinning it and utilizing enough of the grill and factory headlights to retain some resemblance of what it used to be. It will be on 42's when the 1 tons go in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back