• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Explorer brake controller?

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just remember that the max you can tow with an aftermarket hitch is 3000 lb. Not sure if anyone has the wiring diagrams for a 2021 but I'm guess a 2020 might be the same.

Peter

Catishi23

Reaction score
City, State
North Grafton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
I know this is the 2020 explorer thread, but I confirmed the wiring harness is in the same location on my 2021 Platinum (above the lower airbag and below the steering column). I was able to attach the brake control cable with only removing the plastic cover under the steering wheel. I remove four screws to do so- two are easy to spot toward the seat, but there is another one behind the pedals and a fourth to the right of the accelerator going into the center console. The picture attached is only showing the plastic cover I removed; refer to previous photos for the plug itself- it was in the same location described as the 2020 and pointing towards the center console

65941C93-0E69-4004-ACF8-57CD23B7950A.jpeg

Sj explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mantua nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 explorer xlt
The break controller fits nicely in the fuse compartment and don’t have to drill any holes in the dash 👍🏻