Explorer braking shudder frustration | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer braking shudder frustration

im reaching out to the community for help. I’ve been having a problem with my explorer for a few years and I can’t figure it out. My explorer shakes when I brake over 60 mph. It’s been progressively getting worse and I can’t find the problem. I’ve changed rotors, brake pads, front axle, and my driveshaft. I do not feel it in my brake pedal or my steering wheel. It almost seems like the whole front of the car shakes.

If anyone had this problem or knows of a thread here on the forums please point me in the right direction. I love this car but I’m getting very frustrated with this problem

Aloha
I have a 2016 Explorer sport with the same issue that got progressively worse I eventually had to have the steering gear replaced at the dealership at a cost of over $3000.00 dollars.
The shudder returned about a month later. I now have the vehicle ay a local garage where a friend works, and I am waiting to find out what he finds.
He initially believed there may be a problem with the ABS module.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Explorer sport with the same issue that got progressively worse I eventually had to have the steering gear replaced at the dealership at a cost of over $3000.00 dollars.
The shudder returned about a month later. I now have the vehicle ay a local garage where a friend works, and I am waiting to find out what he finds.
Have you replaced the control arm bushings? I did on mine and problem solved.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I received a call from him an hour ago, he said he has figured it out.
I replaced the rear brakes, rotors and calipers about a year ago, the front brakes were at more than 50% so I did not replace them.
He said the rear rotors were severely warped as was the front rotors and the front rotors were severely scarred so he replaced the front pads and rotors and resurfaced the rear rotors.
After several severe braking tests and numerous attempts to duplicate the complaint, he is confident that the issue has been resolved.
I pick it up in the A.M. I will post the results.

I received a call from him an hour ago, he said he has figured it out.
I replaced the rear brakes, rotors and calipers about a year ago, the front brakes were at more than 50% so I did not replace them.
He said the rear rotors were severely warped as was the front rotors and the front rotors were severely scarred so he replaced the front pads and rotors and resurfaced the rear rotors.
After several severe braking tests and numerous attempts to duplicate the complaint, he is confident that the issue has been resolved.
I pick it up in the A.M. I will post the results.
Would love to know if you solved your issue, curious of it was the control arm bushings like others mentioned. My 2017 sport has a similar shaking as discussed here

Would love to know if you solved your issue, curious of it was the control arm bushings like others mentioned. My 2017 sport has a similar shaking as discussed here
Welcome to the Forum Travis. :wave:

Peter

I have a 2016 with the same problem feels like the front passenger side everything is new ! Even swapped pads to rule out warping also checked the alignment and it's good . Any other answers besides brakes being broke in properly??

Yes control arm , bushings wheel bearing cv axle tie rods tie rod ends , suspension rotors even swapped tires incase it was bent or out of balance . Just checked the alignment and it looks straight. I'm stumped on this one !

Yes control arm , bushings wheel bearing cv axle tie rods tie rod ends , suspension rotors even swapped tires incase it was bent or out of balance . Just checked the alignment and it looks straight. I'm stumped on I di check motor mounts but I guess I will look again

W
I have a 2016 with the same problem feels like the front passenger side everything is new ! Even swapped pads to rule out warping also checked the alignment and it's good . Any other answers besides brakes being broke in properly??
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back