Explorer broke down going to the mountains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer broke down going to the mountains

coax31

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
:(Hello, my name is Rich and I live in Aurora, Colorado and own a 1998 XLT SOHC that has 202 k miles, been on this forum a lot for the knowledge and help it provides. Today I had my first break down I was driving up I-70 up a steep grade going up towards the mountains and my RPM got close to 6000 and then a large puff of smoke and a lot of loss of power and clunking noise from the engine. I pull over and its leaking a lot of oil from what I can tell it’s coming from where the transmission meets the engine on the driver’s side. It will not start, dead on the road, lucky my girl friend has AAA and I get it towed back to my condo. I may have thrown a rod or blew the main gasket, now I am probably in for a big $$$$ shock for repair costs, just looking for some advice on the best way to get this fixed. I heard I could get a new engine installed for $3000 at a dealership in town but don’t know how reliable that is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its right at the bellhousing, check your oil, it sounds like your rear main seal blew out and if that happened and the oil went then you know your engine is done. You're truck shouldn't have been pushing those high of rpms for a long period of time. Also you should be able to get a remanufactured engine from Jasper for around $1500.00 unless you prefer Ford do the work then make sure you have a good warranty. It's hard to find a good used vehicle for 3k plus at least you know the history of your truck.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will have to check the oil but I think you are correct, darn I wanted to see if I could get to 250 k but it finally crapped out. Oh well I got a good 6 years out of it, bought it used in 2004 with 76 k on the odometer.

Yeah, a good bit of us want to get high miles out of our trucks like others but sometimes the unfortunate happens and move on to other possibilities :) For engine options you may also want to look at your local craiglist to see if you may find a wrecked truck with a good motor, and if it hasn't had the timing chain guides or tensioners replaced then have it done before you swap the motor in and you should be in good shape. :thumbsup: Sorry bout your unfortunate failure though.

sounds like a lot of $$$$ to be putting into a rig w/ 200K miles, you must really like it. I'd look around and see what's available before dumping that kind of money - How's the tranny? If it hasn't been done, it'll need to be soon. What kind of guarantee do you get for 3K?

Sounds alright to me, seeings how you can't get much for 3k these days, and at least this way he'll know the history, if the body and frame are in alright shape then it's fine to put the money into it if he's planning on keeping it because then over time it'll just be normal wear and tear parts that will need replacing.

I agree...as long as it's in sound condition other than the engine, I would have no reservations about putting a new engine in....I haven't seen anything for around $3k that impresses me lately!!!

Of course, with 193k and climbing on my own, I'm quietly planning what I'm going to do when mine decides it's time to go....

I knew $3000 was to good to be true, they want $4300 and a week and a half to do it and that's the dealership. Another local shop wanted $5800 I may have to find something else.

sounds like a lot of $$$$ to be putting into a rig w/ 200K miles, you must really like it. I'd look around and see what's available before dumping that kind of money - How's the tranny? If it hasn't been done, it'll need to be soon. What kind of guarantee do you get for 3K?

I did the same thing. I thought..well 3000-5000 for 135,000 plus miles and unknown problems from previous owner, or put new or rebuilt motor installed for 2000-3000 with TMH's and a 100,000 mile warranty. Sounds like a good choice to me! You can't get much for 3000 these days. I say get it rebuilt the way you want, that way you KNOW what you have.

Think of this as an opportunity.
If you felt inclined you could get a running junkyard motor put in with the plan for it to last a couple of months. Then rebuild your old motor top to bottom and have fun learning as you go.
Thats what i did and now every time i turn the key and it fires up and runs smooth and quiet the biggest grin covers my face :)

Back