• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Coils in a Ranger

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Safety Harbor/ Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
Does anyone know if 4x4 '91 Explorer coils will work in an '85 Ranger. I think it's the same suspension- anyone know?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if you're talking 4WD, the 85 Ranger has a D28 and the 91 Ex has a D35. The 85 Ranger didn't come with a 4.0 engine, so the spring rates would be different.
But if you're only asking if they will physically fit, they will if they are the same diameter. I know it's the same for early Ex's and 2nd gen Rangers.

actually it's just a 2 wd- I am pretty sure they fit, but not positive. Don't really care about the spriing rate- just need a little more height
Thanks

BP you should care about the spring rates..... without knowing what they are or from what they came from, you wont know if you have a lift or a drop over your current setup....

Originally posted by Big Poppa
actually it's just a 2 wd- I am pretty sure they fit, but not positive. Don't really care about the spriing rate- just need a little more height
Thanks
Oh, then just throw them on and see what happens! Coils are fairly simple to swap out. If you don't like them, switch them back! :)

Jim-
What I meant was I don't care if they are stiffer/ harsh riding- I know Explorer coils will lift a 4 cyl 2 wd ranger

Bill
I'm tryin to find a set right now
Thanks

I just took out the stock coils from my 92 Sport, ya want 'em?

Back