• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Explorer Coils in a Ranger

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Safety Harbor/ Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
Does anyone know if 4x4 '91 Explorer coils will work in an '85 Ranger. I think it's the same suspension- anyone know?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Well, if you're talking 4WD, the 85 Ranger has a D28 and the 91 Ex has a D35. The 85 Ranger didn't come with a 4.0 engine, so the spring rates would be different.
But if you're only asking if they will physically fit, they will if they are the same diameter. I know it's the same for early Ex's and 2nd gen Rangers.

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
actually it's just a 2 wd- I am pretty sure they fit, but not positive. Don't really care about the spriing rate- just need a little more height
Thanks

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
BP you should care about the spring rates..... without knowing what they are or from what they came from, you wont know if you have a lift or a drop over your current setup....

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Originally posted by Big Poppa
actually it's just a 2 wd- I am pretty sure they fit, but not positive. Don't really care about the spriing rate- just need a little more height
Thanks
Oh, then just throw them on and see what happens! Coils are fairly simple to swap out. If you don't like them, switch them back! :)

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
Jim-
What I meant was I don't care if they are stiffer/ harsh riding- I know Explorer coils will lift a 4 cyl 2 wd ranger

Bill
I'm tryin to find a set right now
Thanks

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I just took out the stock coils from my 92 Sport, ya want 'em?