Explorer Copy?--2009 Kia Borrego | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Copy?--2009 Kia Borrego

W

WhiteLimited

So I was reading through "Car and Driver" and found this...The Kia Borrehg (Mohave). At first glance I thought it was a new Explorer. Then got reading and found out it was a Kia! I'm not a huge Kia fan but this is kinda hot! I would still never drive it...

"Kia unveiled its long-awaited Borrego SUV at the 2008 North American International Auto Show. With styling based on the 2005 Mesa concept, the seven-passenger, mid-size Borrego showcases a number of Kia firsts, including an optional 4.6-liter V-8 engine (mated to a six-speed automatic transmission) with 7500-lb towing capacity and a DVD-based navigation system.

Set for release in late spring as a 2009 model, the Borrego also features a standard 266-hp, 3.8-liter V-6 engine with 266 lb-ft of torque, a fully independent suspension, four-wheel disc brakes, seventeen-inch wheels, exterior mirror turn-indicators, and projector headlights. A chrome grille, eighteen-inch chrome wheels and rear-seat entertainment system are optional.

While some companies are focused on unibody SUVs, Kia will build the Borrego using traditional body-on-frame construction. However, Kia promises that it will take advantage of the latest in NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) technologies."

0711_z2009_kia_borregofront.jpg

kiaborreggotop.jpg

medium_2071095193_83ab9bcf9a_o.jpg

medium_2071095365_a4b136a009_o.jpg

1.jpg

Have you seen this? Am I just slow? What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kinda looks like an Explorer. Seems like the numbers match up too. Similar engines/trans (without knowing specifics of course) and towing capacity

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe it's a redesigned next gen explorer...lol

It's aiiiight.

Hey- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If you're going to try to take someone out, offer a similar vehicle, similar specs, and similar performance for what I'm sure will be many thousands less. Funny thing is, when my dad was at Ford about 15 years ago, they had KIA engineers and employees there on training to "show them how things were handled by an American automaker" and the sort. Kind of a mentor thing.

The guy that was assigned to my father was named Hee-Choel, and he had told us stories about the differences in culture- where if they had deadlines, and they were not met, employees (office staff even) would climb in through windows at night to try and finish their work to meet deadlines. Unreal the differences in culture here and there.

I don't think it looks bad, just a bit choppy outside, and I don't like the orange "slice" under the gray trim on the doors- looks weird. But for $20,000 I could be bought. :D It looks better in the press photo than in person- no orange trim, and just looks "classier" than in person in the other pics.

Go Ford!!

What is going on here are you guys turning anti American? The Ex is the best of the best and there is no way i will ever buy another car/suv/truck that isn't :usa:AMERICAN!!!:D

Ford and Kia have collaborated in the past. The Ford Festiva was a collaboration between them.

I haven't found any of that yet...I can barely find any pictures...

You must not have looked much. Google Kia Borrego and you'll come up with tons on it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back