Explorer Dead Pedal / Left foot rest. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Dead Pedal / Left foot rest.

agent

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer
I have a 2005 explorer with 181k miles, I think it's time to trade up. I really want the 2011 explorer but I am having problem with the left footrest my legs are long and the footrest won't allow me to stretch my leg out. Can the footrest be remove or is it molded into the body of the vehicle.

Thanks for your help:
Agent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say its permanent, but the seats do go back way back.

I'm also tall and had big issues with the footrest. (a.k.a. dead pedal)
Took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to it, now I don't even notice it's there. (well, maybe sometimes, on a bad day it annoys me, but doesn't last)

Can the footrest be remove or is it molded into the body of the vehicle.
No, you cannot remove it. It is part of the body.

And you will find that the driving/seating position in the '11 is markedly different than the prior Explorers.

Not bad, just different. Now that I'm used to it, it is totally comfortable. But when I hop into my '02 every now and then I really notice just how different it is.

I'm only 6 ft. tall, but the dead pedal has always been uncomfortable to me in front wheel drive SUVs. I am used to driving a full size pick-up. I found that the adjustable pedals, telescoping steering wheel, and seat that retracts when I turn off the car make the 11 EX more comfortable that any other I have driven. After working with the adjusments and driving it for a couple of days, I don't even notice it any more.

Great to hear that Deerfarm, thats how I felt...thank god for memory seats, my wife is 5' 1" and it kills me when I get in and the the steering wheel is tilted so far down. They should make that also electronic so when you hit the button it also moves that!! Good thing is I don't get a boner anymore when I hop in the Ex, so the steering wheel doesn't hurt me anymore.

Hey: The dead pedal isn't permanent. I removed it the other day to clean salt stains that where next to it. Simply pull up on it to remove it.

The only problem with removing it, is underneath the dead pedal there are holes in the carpet that expose the body. I'm thinking of making a flat one out of painted steel or aluminum.

Hey: The dead pedal isn't permanent. I removed it the other day to clean salt stains that where next to it. Simply pull up on it to remove it.
Hi there Dannyinottawa. Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

I have a 2005 explorer with 181k miles, I think it's time to trade up. I really want the 2011 explorer but I am having problem with the left footrest my legs are long and the footrest won't allow me to stretch my leg out. Can the footrest be remove or is it molded into the body of the vehicle.

Thanks for your help:
Agent
Welcome to the Form agent.:wavey:
I guess you'll be pleased with Dannyinottawa's reply. I didn't know it was removable but I don't have a problem with it as is.

Peter

Hi Peterk9. Thanks for the welcome message.

... steering wheel is tilted so far down. They should make that also electronic so when you hit the button it also moves that!! ...

It is electric in the '13... Though maybe only the telescope, and not the tilt... I don't recall. I specifically remember the tele being electric though during a test drive.

Power tilt and telescope, linked to the seat memory. Sweet :)

I wish I could stretch my left leg out more than the vehicle allows many days driving on the highway, it's just the shape of the underdash area that restricts a good stretch now and then. I like my seat position based on various considerations, but I don't want to ride all the way back just to benefit from a bit more leg room.

I removed mine today, vehicle is 6 days old. Just didn't like it. I took a small kitchen sponge, and cut it to the shape of the three "holes" in the carpet, left by the removal. The dried sponges provide a somewhat firm feel to them, and will bounce back if compressed by my left foot.

I then took some outdoor carpet, cut then to shape of the three "holes" and glued some extra tool box liner (charcoal color) to them.

Glue them onto the sponges. Looks pretty good...

The only problem with removing it, is underneath the dead pedal there are holes in the carpet that expose the body. I'm thinking of making a flat one out of painted steel or aluminum.

It bugged me too at first. I got used to it and now I don't notice it.

Funny you say that. I am not a tall guy but I drive a F-150 and I am use to way more room. I can stretch my legs straight out in my truck. It's the first thing I notice when getting in my wife's Explorer. Not a big deal to me though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear ya! The one thing that would make it a bit better is to get rid of that dang parking brake pedal! That would go a long way to making what room we do have a bit more comfy! Go to an electronic brake and that obstacle will be gone!

Back