Explorer delays

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So through a few different people, I have heard that there are over 18,000 Explorers in storage and also that Ford just announced that they were installing the wrong brakes on some of the Performance packs.

This could be part of the reason people have had theirs stuck in some sort of production for quite some time.

As I had mentioned in one of my threads dealers are waiting on truckloads of Explorers with ETAs well beyond their original date now showing "expired" in the tracking system with no new dates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So through a few different people, I have heard that there are over 18,000 Explorers in storage and also that Ford just announced that they were installing the wrong brakes on some of the Performance packs.

This could be part of the reason people have had theirs stuck in some sort of production for quite some time.

As I had mentioned in one of my threads dealers are waiting on truckloads of Explorers with ETAs well beyond their original date now showing "expired" in the tracking system with no new dates.
Interesting info Blwnsmoke! I know a lot of Ford Performance guys. I asked them and they said they have heard problems at CAP but have no insight into the problems. They also echoed a large delievery hold but zero details. I was worried mine was being repaired offsite. But it’s status is autowarehousing. So what you said makes sense. I wonder if this only efffects ST’s with Street or performance options. With 18,000 on hold has to also be something else.

Mine has been in production since late June....25th I think.

My dealer, All American Ford in Old Bridge NJ web site says they have 72 of them. I-4's, and 6 cylinders some are ST's

Yeah my dealer loons ford says they have a boat load. Dig deeper most are in transit

I spoke to my salesman he said they have about a dozen on the lot. He said if it shows an IP in front of the stock number then it's incoming and not there yet.

I spoke to my salesman he said they have about a dozen on the lot. He said if it shows an IP in front of the stock number then it's incoming and not there yet.
Yeah dozen sounds typical. I’m not saying there 18,000 on hold however if what he has heard is true....it falls into place some other things I’ve heard. Didn’t think it was that big of a problem though!

My St w Street Pack option was produced mid-June, and its last status update was/has been for the last 2 weeks as of this AM -
In Transit - Received - LD4574 (Norfolk Southern Corp ) Ramp 58, Melvindale, MI Jul-07-2019, 10:34 ET.
Hopefully that means its passed inspection and is truly just waiting to get loaded and sent off, but I guess its a crap-shoot at this point in time.

Interesting info Blwnsmoke! I know a lot of Ford Performance guys. I asked them and they said they have heard problems at CAP but have no insight into the problems. They also echoed a large delievery hold but zero details. I was worried mine was being repaired offsite. But it’s status is autowarehousing. So what you said makes sense. I wonder if this only efffects ST’s with Street or performance options. With 18,000 on hold has to also be something else.

From what I am told, Ford announced the brake issue to dealers today. I also confirmed this through a 2nd contact so I am tending to believe this and it is the 2nd contact that told me about 18,500 are sitting in storage. Figured we can all come here to b!tch about our delayed orders in 1 place lol.

Yeah my dealer loons ford says they have a boat load. Dig deeper most are in transit

You forgot the quotes for "in transit" lol. (eye roll)

From what I am told, Ford announced the brake issue to dealers today. I also confirmed this through a 2nd contact so I am tending to believe this and it is the 2nd contact that told me about 18,500 are sitting in storage. Figured we can all come here to b!tch about our delayed orders in 1 place lol.

Isnt that fantastic. I wonder if this includes Aviators as well. I also have one of those on order, that went into production 6/26, and is still in production.

Isnt that fantastic. I wonder if this includes Aviators as well. I also have one of those on order, that went into production 6/26, and is still in production.

According to Lincoln's website on the build & price for the Aviator: "Vehicles are built to order and available for delivery in 6-8 weeks."

And let the *****ing commence!!!! Ugh well at least I know it’s not like a serious paint defect or something but the wrong brakes! Come on Ford there Wagner junk brakes anyway! We all got the package for the black rims!!!

I hope more information comes to light asap. My dealer has a ST on the lot that has everything but the Street pack, which I want, but can live without if need be. My second lease extension is up in 2 weeks and I dont want to extend it again. I've ordered vehicles before, but never with a new platform coming into production. :confused: This has been quite the headache and exercise in patience...

My St w Street Pack option was produced mid-June, and its last status update was/has been for the last 2 weeks as of this AM -
In Transit - Received - LD4574 (Norfolk Southern Corp ) Ramp 58, Melvindale, MI Jul-07-2019, 10:34 ET.
Hopefully that means its passed inspection and is truly just waiting to get loaded and sent off, but I guess its a crap-shoot at this point in time.
Hi, where did you get the above update from? Thanks!

FWIW, you should ask your dealer to see a full history report on your VIN. Once a vehicle gets to the railroad, it generally moves pretty quickly to the off load facility near your dealer. If it was sitting at a rail ramp in Chicago, it could be that the railroad was waiting until they had a fully loaded auto-rack car, but your car has been sitting for 23 days at a rail-yard in Detroit. Doesn't make sense. The full history report won't get you your vehicle any sooner, but at least you'd have a clearer picture of where it's been since the day it was released from CAP. Again,FWIW.

Mine shows the same status as delivered at the rail yard.... which is right next to the mustang plant... so I’m guessing it was actually delivered there for whatever is going on.

BLWNSMOKE was correct. I can not confirm the hold number on the Exploeres or why there is a back up. However I do have the dealer letter in hand specifying wrong brakes being sold on vehicles.Basically the vehicle ships with street pack or regular brakes, and the dealer calibrates the ABS system and installs the performance brakes. Well the dealer sold them with out doing this because the parts where not available. Also there is a backorder on the performance pack brakes with no estimate release date. Again this is for 68T package not the 68S (street package).

my dealer just confirmed there is a quality review hold... but has no additional information as to why. Mine is a street pack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BLWNSMOKE was correct. I can not confirm the hold number on the Exploeres or why there is a back up. However I do have the dealer letter in hand specifying wrong brakes being sold on vehicles.Basically the vehicle ships with street pack or regular brakes, and the dealer calibrates the ABS system and installs the performance brakes. Well the dealer sold them with out doing this because the parts where not available. Also there is a backorder on the performance pack brakes with no estimate release date. Again this is for 68T package not the 68S (street package).

Are you saying 2 different things -
Your dealer didnt install the proper brakes, which is there job to do once received from the plant, and this only effects the 68T Package?
and
There is a backorder only effecting the 68T package?

If thats the case I cant image either has anything to do with this big hold up.

Back